collission insurance


Old 03-24-09, 08:34 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 89
collission insurance

Is there a law in Pa. that states that your insurance agent must add Colission on your policy when you finance a car?I had an accident& didnt know i didnt have coverage, therefore damages on my vehicle arent covered at this point in time.My question is ,can i fight this to seek compensation for my damages?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-09, 12:30 PM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,519
Just a layman's opinion here, but I don't think there would be any law compelling an insurance company to put any particular coverage on any vehicle. That would be your responsibility. Generally mandatory coverage is required by the lender where there is a loan involved; in fact if you buy a car with a loan where the lender requires full coverage and you either fail to get it or let it lapse, as soon as the finance company finds out they generally buy it for you. It's to protect their interest, not yours.
Old 03-24-09, 05:44 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,044
I just wonder why you would not look at the policy details when you signed up?

I've never heard of any state requiring collission covereage. Like John stated, it was your responsibility to get the proper coverage, not your agent. You also weren't paying the premium for it, so there's really nothing you can do but pay up.

Automobile Insurance Laws In Pennsylvania: A Summary of What You Need to Know

All owners of motor vehicles in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are required by law to purchase and maintain automobile insurance. The laws relating to automobile insurance coverage are compiled in 75 Pa.C.S.A. 1701 et seq., commonly known as the Act 6 Amendments to the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law, "MVFRL. As an owner, driver or passenger, it is important to understand how automobile insurance affects an individual involved in an automobile accident. The type of coverage an individual selects will depend upon the individual's needs. The following are the most common types of coverage offered:

Liability Coverage

This coverage is mandatory.

Collision Coverage

This coverage is optional.
Old 03-24-09, 10:10 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,497
Sorry, I have to agree - while lenders usually require full coverage (and proof thereof), I have never heard of any statute requiring this.

Don't you think the agent would have wanted the commission on the extra premium?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes