Weed killer + neighbor's dog/cat

Old 04-27-09, 07:17 PM
Weed killer + neighbor's dog/cat

For some reason my lawn is the only one that has bad weed problems. I am thinking of putting some weed killer of some sort on my lawn.

My house and my neighbors house is divided a roll of small rocks about one feet wide. We have no fence or anything that divides us in the front yard.

Personally I hate my neighbors dog/cat. They always come over to my lawn and poop on my lawn. That neighbor and I don't get along that well.

So my question is, if I put some fertilizers on my lawn do I have to let them know first? If there dog/cat get sick or anything, am I responsible for it?

No I do not want to harm the animal, but at the same time I don't want to talk to them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-09, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
To answer your question, no you wouldn't be responsible and you don't have to tell anyone, as far as I know. It's your property afterall, to do with what you want. There are lease laws for dogs so they would not have a case.
It may even keep them out because it will cover the smell, which is why they keep coming back.

Old 05-05-09, 07:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
To answer your question, no you wouldn't be responsible and you don't have to tell anyone, as far as I know. It's your property afterall, to do with what you want. There are lease laws for dogs so they would not have a case.
It may even keep them out because it will cover the smell, which is why they keep coming back.
Hmmmm. I wonder. Really? What if you susbstitute 1 1/2 year old child for dog? Then consider some people value their pets as much as kids -some even more, since they only love and do not sass back. I do know that people have had accidents on YOUR property and can sue.

I heard that this local kooky guy buried a board with nails under the dirt in his driveway, and was told that was illegal.

I bet a good lawyer can win any case, even when you are doing your own own thing on your own property.

If the gov't can tell people that a person simply can't rent to whoever they choose(by baselessly discriminating) out of a group of people -then you'd think they also can find just cause why you can't endanger neighbors, even though you own your own property in the way the landlord owns his/her property.

Old 05-05-09, 07:55 AM
As long as you're using a commercially available weed killer product approved for residential use, I wouldn't see any need to contact your neighbors. In all the years I've used fertilizers, weed or insect killers on my lawn, its never occured for me to contact my neighbors, nor have any of them ever contacted me to let me know they're using any chemicals on their lawns. It should be a commonly recognized fact of life that people will use chemicals of some type on residential lawns, and if all your other neighbor's lawns are weed-free, its obviously they're using something on their lawns too. I don't think any of the products intended for residential lawns are overly toxic to pets when used as directed. And I'm like you, I really don't want to talk to my neighbors if I don't have to.

Old 05-05-09, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Ecman, while there's always the exception, for the most part you can't sue or be sued for everything. Because the news will always broadcast that lone, extreme case, people get the wrong idea. I think some common sense is all people need.
Weed killers and fertilizers are sold over the counter and I've never heard of any law that says you have to tell neighbors (or anyone for that matter) that you've used it and can't see any way that someone can sue you for that reason.
Like Beachboy, no one's ever told me what they're doing in or outside of their homes and I've never told them.
Dog leash laws protect homeowners from roaming dogs and what happens to them and anyone that lets their 1 1/2 yr. old kid run around the neighborhood eating grass should be the ones going to court.

Old 07-18-09, 09:37 PM
no legal liability if you use the product as directed and if it a big box weed killer [weed'n'feed or whatever]. as a matter of courtesy, i would let the neighbor know ahead of time, BUT NO MATTER WHAT HE SAYS, i would still go ahead and use the stuff. tough tooties for him and his cats. he can keep them inside overnight. after all, they would stay inside if there were a bad thunderstorm, correct??? the only reason to let him know ahead of time is to show him how a decent person treats his neighbors. maybe he will learn somthing.

and as for those that think a good lawyer can win any case, the simple answer is no. besides, it is always the jury that votes on who wins or loses, so if you want to blame someone for a weird result, look no farther then the 12 people tried and true. think rodney king or oj simpson or robert blake.