Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page > Landlords Liability for Tenants Possesions

Landlords Liability for Tenants Possesions

Old 04-29-09, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Landlords Liability for Tenants Possesions

I am considering buying a house to be used as a rental property. The house has an unfinished basement with signs water/moisture intrusion. Will I (landlord) have a liability for any of the tennants possesions stored in this unfinished space? I don't want to buy this house if I will be liable for damage to items stored in the basement.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-09, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
Just a layman's opinion, but I would think a properly worded paragraph in a lease would suffice.

Old 04-29-09, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally you aren't responsible for the tenants possessions but you might be required to have a suitable place for rent. Specfically excluding the basement in a rental agreement might suffice but it would be best to talk to an attorney!

Old 04-29-09, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water intrusion could also be a precursor to mold, mildew and possible radon gas. These should be tested and an agreement written into the sales contract with the current owner to have water problem fixed.
If you rent it and a lessee develops health problems related to mold, mildew, or radon, you may be sued for renting a known potentially hazardous property.

Old 04-29-09, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Aaah, I was thinking water only and didn't go farther and consider what else the water could induce. Not many basements around here.

Old 05-01-09, 07:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd include a lease provision notifying tenants of moisture in the crawl space and making it a rule that personal property not be stored there. You generally need to enforce such rules, so if you saw personal property there when you were doing work on the property, you'd need to write the tenants a letter telling them to remove it or they may suffer damage to it.

Search this Thread