Owe IRS and SSDI

Old 07-24-09, 07:35 AM
Unhappy Owe IRS and SSDI

I currently owe the IRS due to a bad divorce situation. I will be going on SSDI within the year. Can the IRS attach my SSDI benefits? Should I try to work out a payment plan with them after my SSDI benefits are established?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-09, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the IRS can and will do as they choose. I think they also can take at least a certain percent out of whatever you get, from wherever you get it. They do not care if there are hardships. They know you are helpless against them. Especially if you avoid them.

But - if you are accruing lots of penalties and interest, and have at least shown you are earnest and sincere and have talked to them, rather than avoid them - which is the key - there is a possibility they might work something out with you. Don't be fearful to talk to them. (I have.) They are onto you now. So - you have nothing to lose and everything to possibly gain.

Either that or, if you owe $10,000-15,000 or more, one of those tax firms you see advertising on tv could substantially reduce your debt to the IRS.

My uncle owed the IRS a lot of money once, and they forgave a large portion of it. I think he dealt directly with them, but I need to recheck with him about this.

Old 07-24-09, 06:08 PM
The IRS can assess a FLIP (Federal Payment Levy Program) levy of 15% to satisfy delinquent Federal Taxes, and can (and generally will) attach 100% of any tax refunds due you.

There used to be a hardship exemption within FLIP, don't know if this is still the case.

Old 07-25-09, 10:01 AM
Unhappy Owe IRS and SSDI

Thank you for your quick reply. I've always been afraid of those TV advertisements - fearful of a scam. I currently owe about 42K, which is half of debt owed. Was on a payment plan but lost my job recently and will be unable to make the large payment I was making.

Do you know how much your uncle had to pay the company he went with and what the name of the company was?

Old 07-25-09, 10:05 AM
They've tried the levy, but I don't have a bank account nor do I own anything of value. I've never heard of the hardship exemption. Would I be able to find this out on-line? I live in California so I don't know if the same exemptions apply from state to state

Old 07-27-09, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh rats. I talked to him by phone Ld, yesterday! I will try to remember/make note, and get more info.