Breach of Peace?

Old 07-26-09, 09:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Breach of Peace?

Would those ultra loud motorcycle exhausts that according to bikers a safety feature fall into viloation of breach of peace laws? It would be nice to be able to watch TV and eat a meal while sitting on a recliner without the sound of those bikes drowning out the volume of the TV when it is already on #28. Downright amazing how these folks are almost never seen wearing helmets which are a true safety measure at least for saving lives. Cars with loud exhausts get ticketed so why not motorcycles?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-09, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talk to your local law enforcement types. They may have db meters that can check the bikes. Of course, if the area has no local laws, there is no violation.

The noise = safety defense is mostly caw caw. No helmet, no baffles, no brains.

Old 07-26-09, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Many places have noise regs..they have to meet certain specs. Like the meter needs to be calibrated and placed 20 feet from the end of the pipe at a 90 degree angle, engine at idle..etc etc. They may or may not be enforced...and it all depends on throttle opening usually.

My neighbor does it in the mornings..about 6AM...I'm up anyway..but its just rude. Starts his bike, rev rev rev...then lets it sit and idle for 10 min with the pipes aimed across the street so it bounces off the houses. I'm sure he doesn't do it on pupose..he's just ignorant. He does the same with his truck...constantly forgets to turn off the alarm before hitting the remote start...so it goes off until he comes out of the house and shuts it down.

JMO...but helmets on a bike should be a choice. Theres just as much evidence against as there is for. Not the same as seatbelts and bags. Though I also believe you could be levied a higher insurance premium or denied coverage for any head injuries caused by no helmet in an accident that was your fault.....but how many single vehicle M/C accidents do you see? Most are caused by cars....or riders not realizing they are on a M/C and driving like they are in a car. So those riders need to be weeded out of the gene pool anyway...lol.

Old 07-26-09, 01:18 PM
I wondered because I get up at 3am to go to work, and I am sure the neighbors would just love it if I blasted punk rock going out of the driveway at 3:20 AM (SARCAM), but am nice enough not to do that. I have been thinking of getting 1/4 sticks to put into those exhausts. It would probably involve a trip out of state though.

Old 07-26-09, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Around here the statute is the exhaust can't be louder than the sound of the engine, it has to blend together.

Don't see much enforcement, though....

Old 07-27-09, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
I love the idiots with the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" stickers. Unless they're driving down the road backwards, somebody not paying attention is still going to pull in front of them. Loud pipes just piss people off and it's the primary reason to have them.

Old 07-27-09, 03:39 PM
Is it legal to shoot out the front tires so they fly over the handlebars so you can say "Why didn't you wear a helmet if you are concerned about safety (insert expletive here)??" I highly doubt it but would love to see it because I do not own a gun because I know I would do such a thing. But seriously, would putting epoxy in these pipes when they are parked cause the pistons to fly out of the engine due to accumulated back pressure?

Old 08-21-09, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
Of course, if the area has no local laws, there is no violation.
Not true. Loud pipes are one of my pet peeves, and I've been a motorcycle rider for more than 30 years. Regardless of whether or not it's much enforced (and it usually isn't), it is a Federal crime to do anything to a motorcycle to make it louder than as it comes from the factory. Newer bikes, mine included, even have a sticker on the frame that says this.