IS buzzed driving, drunk driving?

Old 02-14-10, 11:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

Ever hear that ad that makes that claim, about buzzed driving is drunk driving?

Is it?

A bit a ago, I drove past this neat burger joint that has as part of their big sign on the building, that says "margueritas".

Who in the world would want to spend big money on margueritas if you can't even get a buzz from it?! Do people have margueritas because they are thirsty or something? Don't you want to get a little loose or laugh-happy with the group you are with, as to have an extra good time? Isn't that why you spend the money?

So - if the legal drunk driving number is .08, which it now is in many states - can you get a "buzz", yet be below that amount?

What would or could a cop do if you were a wee tipsy acting, and were at .06 or7? What if you were weaving a bit in your lane, yet never crossed the center line? Or can't that hardly happen below .08?

I don't know the answer to this as I have never done a breathalizer - so I have absolutely no idea about the relationship between a buzz and being legally drunk.

What is their objective by having such an ad?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 01:12 PM
In reality .08 means you ARE legally drunk.

You can be convicted at .04, if the police officer is of the opinion you are impaired, and the judge/jury agrees. Rare, but it can happen.

Old 02-14-10, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post

I will assume that the objective is based on the result of either police citations or accident investigations.

Old 02-14-10, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
To protect their butts against lawsuits, if someone gets killed or hurt after drinking their product.
If someone is going to go out and drink, then they shouldn't be driving, no matter how many drinks they had.

Old 02-14-10, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
The irony is many of the people the commercial is aimed at are the ones who won't "get it". They are the ones who are convinced the can drive safely after one or two drinks.

Old 02-15-10, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
To protect their butts against lawsuits, if someone gets killed or hurt after drinking their product.
If someone is going to go out and drink, then they shouldn't be driving, no matter how many drinks they had.
But that is why our system is a joke in various ways - this being one of them. On the one hand you should not drive while being impaired whatsoever?, while yet they have bars and supper clubs that are legal. As if all the cars in the parking lot are being chauffeured by a chapperone or something. They know that ain't going to happen.

Can you imagine sitting at a table with your giggly friends while you are sobber, putting up with this?, just so you can drive them home? Or what of the people who are on their way somewhere, and they never planned this or made driving arrangements, and say, "Hey. This looks like a good place to get a bite and have a drink. Let's try this place out!" And in they all go - and get half corned.

I passed a supper club the other night, and a person coming out of the lot started to pull right out in front of me, point blank, and I had my headlights on. In fact that incident got me in the mindset to start this thread.

Old 02-15-10, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The irony is many of the people the commercial is aimed at are the ones who won't "get it". They are the ones who are convinced the can drive safely after one or two drinks.
I used to live in some rural places and that worked out for me. I'm still here, and no accidents. Closed down plenty of bars. Drove home and often nobody was on the road. Never had a problem keeping car in my lane. Took it easy. Always was anal, even when tipsy. Can't see doing that in metro areas though.

And that is what everyone did. Like I said, the bars were/are legal. What did they(the legal system) think was going to happen when people showed up in cars or snowmobiles? Think people go out for one or two beers and go, "Wow that was good beer!", and go home?

Old 02-17-10, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
I used to live in some rural places and that worked out for me. I'm still here, and no accidents. Closed down plenty of bars. Drove home and often nobody was on the road. Never had a problem keeping car in my lane. Took it easy. Always was anal, even when tipsy. Can't see doing that in metro areas though.

And that is what everyone did. Like I said, the bars were/are legal. What did they(the legal system) think was going to happen when people showed up in cars or snowmobiles? Think people go out for one or two beers and go, "Wow that was good beer!", and go home?
WOW you really must be cool for putting people's lives in danger.
personally i hate drunk drivers and would not care if they killed themselves while driving but, so often they take other people
instead. If one took my family and they survived rest assured
the total will be even.

Old 02-17-10, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
riso......I think ecman was talking quite a bit back in his past. Not like a member that used to be here and seemed to take pride in it.

I made my share of stupid decisions back in the day...and sometimes wonder how I ever survived. Luckily I never injured anyone.

You also must remember..there was a time..that unless there was an accident..it was normally a stern warning and a wink.

Old 02-18-10, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, things were different back then not to mention the fact that it takes a few years to mature and act responsible. Today's kids are taught in school about the perils of drunk/drugged driving but it didn't used to be that way.

Back in the early 70's I had a good friend that got 7 DWIs in a 3 yr period before his license was suspended for 1 yr. Today I suspect the same offenses would result in prison time. Back in the day a DWI wasn't much more than a traffic ticket. I don't think they even had breathalizers back then - the ticket and arrest was based on the officer's observations. I'm not sure when the offense got changed to DUI but I think that was when we started to take drinking and driving as a serious offense.

Vic, I remember that member, always kind of wondered what happened to him.

Old 02-18-10, 07:58 AM
Well its no question that we all handel alcohol differently. While the legal limit is .08 you can in fact get a DUI conviction for being below that limit. If you fall out of your car and only blow .02 then your impared and shouldnt be driving and will get arrested. I have a cousin whos a cop and he said that all the field tests they do are just to see how your acting. the one test that cant be fooled and will convict you even if your under the limit is the eye test. The one where they use the light and finger and want you to follow there finger with your eyes. If your impared you cant control what your eyes are doing.

Old 02-18-10, 09:56 AM
I recieved my first and last DWI back in 69. The fine was $150and the risk insurance cost $42 a month for two years.

Today that probably won't even cover court costs.

Bottoms up! Beer 4U2

Old 02-18-10, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Actually I think many places still call it Driving While Impaired (DWI). Thats when you aren't over the legal limit..but you are definitely over YOUR personal limit. Since prescription and over the counter meds can do the same, they have to have something on the books.

I remember one guy in a (ahem) class I went to for 6 weeks...when he was arrested he blew a .22 BAC...but categorically stated he was not drunk. The report actually stated he passed some of the field tests and was cooperative. Because he was such a heavy drinker (read that alcoholic) that level had less of an affect...or at least he had learned to compensate.

Old 02-18-10, 10:27 AM
Even if you are not stumbling or fallen down alchohol will affect your reaction time, I believe there is no allowable amount of alchohol allowed to be in your system while driving and should an accident occur with a fatality involved, Im almost sure youll be seing jail time even if you blow under the limit.Beer 4U2

Old 02-18-10, 10:36 AM

If you are stopped, you are usually given a ticket for reckless driving or careless driving in addition to a DUI, so if the DUI cannot be proven, the other charges can be held because the were observed by the officer in the course of observing the driver's action irrespective of the DUI test that came after the stop for a cause.

I was stopped after being followed for 3 miles and given a ticket for failure to signal. I passed all the field tests. Unfortunately, it was in a sweep and they had a bus to take everyone to a hospital for a third party test that is indisputable. Fortunately, we had a Santa Claus on the bus that led everyone in Christmas carols during the ride.

Because I was legally over the limit after the hospital tests, I got a DUI with no required treatment, minimal probation (one call a month for 6 months) but a one month license suspension except for work and the failure to turn was dropped. I still had to live with the higher insurance rates for a while. If I had not gotten the DUI charge, but my driving ticket would not have been removed.

Old 02-18-10, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
riso......I think ecman was talking quite a bit back in his past. Not like a member that used to be here and seemed to take pride in it.
Ya, way back when I was 50.

Seriously, it was when I was 18 -20's. Over 35 years ago.

Old 02-18-10, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by risoworker View Post
WOW you really must be cool for putting people's lives in danger.
personally i hate drunk drivers and would not care if they killed themselves while driving but, so often they take other people
instead. If one took my family and they survived rest assured
the total will be even.
And sometimes when I drove home, carefully, I never even saw another car! Watching for deer was the main thing. These bars were in the boonies, and I had to follow rural roads. One bar was at the end of my gravel road. And even when I was young, I had my you-know-what together. I actually was the kind that could never get so drunk as to fall off a bar stool, as some guys I knew. (Wonder how THEY got home?). I'd get sick to my stomach first. I guess that was a blessing. I never had moments where I could not remember a thing later or the next day, either.

Old 02-18-10, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
I was stopped after being followed for 3 miles and given a ticket for failure to signal. I passed all the field tests. Unfortunately, it was in a sweep and they had a bus to take everyone to a hospital for a third party test that is indisputable. Fortunately, we had a Santa Claus on the bus that led everyone in Christmas carols during the ride.
THEY had a bus? The cops? Why? Who were the "everyone"? Was the Santa Claus shnockered (like Billy Bob in "Bad Santa"?)? Sounds like an interesting story here.

Old 02-18-10, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Road King View Post
Even if you are not stumbling or fallen down alchohol will affect your reaction time, I believe there is no allowable amount of alchohol allowed to be in your system while driving and should an accident occur with a fatality involved, Im almost sure youll be seing jail time even if you blow under the limit.Beer 4U2
Probably so.

Up here, a couple years ago, a trucjk driver fell asleep on the interstate, and rolled his trailer, and this chartered bus came along with the school kids and chaperones, and 5 got killed. The truck driver's life is pretty ruined now. This probably made national news.

Old 02-18-10, 05:35 PM
i really don;t care for the arguement, we all did stupid things as a young person. really, i have never driven drunk or with even
a beer in me. maybe i'm more mature for my age. never had
the chance to do dumb things i had to grow up real fast.

i can't believe the people here are not all over people
for admiting driving drunk this is crazy and very sad.

Old 02-18-10, 07:08 PM

This was a part of a sweep on a week-end night just before Christmas in Escanaba, MI. There were 4 police cars lines up in the adjacent driveway/alley that followed people leaving. A similar situation at there nice restaurants in the 3 block radius. I saw the police and was not worried even after he started following me, but he pulled me over as I got to the motel driveway.

Santa was at a different restaurant giving out gifts at an employees Christmas party and was caught when he started to drive home.

They had a bus since they did not have enough police/sheriff cars to shuttle people in for independent tests. Many people had just had a drink before leaving, but it had no effect until a little later, especially if they had a high tolerance.

If I was in NW WI, there probably would not have been a problem. When I was young, kids there could drink beer as long as they sat on the bar or could look over it.

Dick

Old 02-18-10, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well riso..you have the option of not staying....but I find your comment a little insulting.

I think what all here were saying was that the rules and the perception of things were much different 30-40 yrs ago. Just as in the 40s and 50s..women were never told not to drink or smoke when pregnant, in fact some doctors even said it would help them remain calm. We won't even talk about the meds that were prescribed that were found to be dangerous.

No one is advocating drinking and driving. And if you have never even had one and driven..well..thats a good thing. No one is perfect..but the closer the better. Now..would you like to discuss talking on a cell phone while driving?

Old 02-19-10, 03:33 PM
If I was in NW WI, there probably would not have been a problem. When I was young, kids there could drink beer as long as they sat on the bar or could look over it.
Ah yes, Wisconsin. Back in the 60s when we were in our upper teens a guy from Lake Nebaganon says he knows where we can drink all we want. Hot summer day, lets go.

We went to this bar/resort in the middle of who knows where. Old gal that ran the place asks if we have IDs. No. Okay, sign this paper saying you're 21. Thanks guys, drink up. Most bizarre thing I've ever seen, we had a great couple hours. Beer 4U2

Forgot to mention there were goats, chickens and other beasts roaming through the bar. Amazing. I doubt that would fly today.

Old 02-19-10, 05:10 PM
I've probably related this before, but my son, when he was 17 years old was at a party at a renown place for allowing teens to drink underage. The cops set up at the entrance out of sight and stopped all the kids, my son included. Cop inferred to him he had been drinking. He said he was taught not to drink and drive. Cop made him go through the sobriety stuff. Couldn't believe he hadn't been drinking. OK, I get the call at 1AM from DeKalb County Police. What am I supposed to think, my kid had been killed in a wreck, right? It was the officer relaying the story to me and wanting to thank me for what I had instilled in my son. Floored me completely.

Don't get me started in on the 60's. It is a miracle we survived it. Riso, you're too young to understand the 60's. It isn't in a history book. You can't learn it. You had to live it. Some did it differently. We aren't defending their actions, just relaying experiences that we learned later in life that would scare the bejeebers out of your mother.

Old 02-19-10, 07:45 PM
When I grew up, the drinking age in WI was a very "loose" 18. They even served beer in the university student union in Madison and everyone seemed to have their own stein.

We were teenagers living 15 miles from the WI boarder in a state with a 21 year requirement.

The early 60's was when Madison was omitted form the Playboy list of great college party towns, since they would not compare professionals with amateurs. Madison was withing driving range of the Minnesota (260 miles), Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Notre Dame, Michigan and MSU. You can image what happened on a football weekend. - 30,000 resident students a lot of politicians and a lot of non-resident party goers in a relatively small city at that time.

Just grab a beer in a cuo and go from bar to bar in a comfortable setting.

Dick

Search this Thread