GrandDaughter Medical Bills

Old 09-06-10, 06:40 PM
DUD
GrandDaughter Medical Bills

She was in a wreck in My car, Guy grabbed keys took off on joy ride. 3 miles down the road at speeds of 120 MPH He missed curve, killed 1 boy hurt 2 others. She was airlifted to regional hospital. Insurance was great, as can be, and We started making small payments.

Now the problem is the ER Doctor wants to be paid in full. We have made one payment of $25.00 last month and are getting ready to send another when We got the letter Friday demanding full payment. We can't afford to pay more at this time with everything else that We have on Our plate.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-10, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unfortunately I've been in the position of having to make payments on medical bills several times Most are pretty good about accepting payments but I don't know if the ER physicians are extra greedy or what. They always included a note with the monthly statement/bill claiming I'd ignored their billing and threatening collections. They always accepted my payments and never sent the bill to collections.

It wouldn't hurt to call them and explain your situation but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Old 09-07-10, 05:28 AM
When my father died there were lots of hospital and doctor bills. While insurance covered most there was still a sizable balance. All the bills threatened to overwhelm my mother at a time when the stress was the last thing she needed.

I advised her to make small payments on each of the bills. Just large enough to show her intent to pay them. Only one doctor insisted that he be paid in full. I called him, explained my mother's situation and her worry about the dunning letters. He forgave the debt completely.

Here's the point. He explained that most doctors have no idea who owes what or who's paying what. All of that is handled by a billing agency. Different billing agencies have different policies. My recommendation, contact the billing agency and try to set up a payment plan. If that doesn't work, call the doctor and explain your situation.

Another point is how old is your grandaughter and what is your legal connection to her? Legal guardian, adopted, just family?

Old 09-07-10, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Everyone is different but most doctors will be fine with a payment plan if you stick to it

I'd call the ER doc and see what you can work out with him

Old 09-07-10, 11:52 AM
DUD
Thanks for the replies, I understand that most of the people who go to the ER do so to not have to pay their bills. I will call the Dr.s ands explain why I can't pay in full and see what happens. I will post back with an answer. Thanks, Bill

Old 09-07-10, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
I understand that most of the people who go to the ER do so to not have to pay their bills.
That's not true. You have to be qualified first, proving low income (or lack of) and health insurance (or lack of), etc. If someone is able to pay, then they have to pay. Some people have had to take out a loan. You can't just not pay.

Old 09-07-10, 02:43 PM
I think DUD's comment is truer than not. Many people go to the emergency room, get treated and disappear. The bills are never paid.

Old 09-07-10, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Going back to the orignal post, can you clarify who's who a bit more? Seems like some insurance should have been involved somewhere to cover the bills unless I'm misunderstanding who's who and who did what to whom.

Old 09-08-10, 05:30 AM
DUD
I have custody of the GrandDaughter, She had gone 25 miles to spend the night with Her Mother. Two of Her friends and Her went to a convenience store, met another friend and were talking, 36 year old Guy grabbed keys and jumped into car. GrandDaughter jumped in, Friends followed, Wreck, 15 year old killed, driver unhurt and runs away, GrandDaughter airlifted to the MEd in Memphis. 2 other boys hurt but not life threatning.

Our health and car insurance and had insurance for air evac, saved $19,000.00 there has all paid some on everyones bill. It paid all of some, but it leaves a balance of $1,000.00 to this one. He wants it all.

Thanks, Bill

Old 09-08-10, 08:18 AM
Hey Bill,

The additional info is helpful, as it clears up some of the questions I had.

I’ll throw out some additional issues that are intended to make you think . . . no reply needed when stated as a question.

1. In regards to child custody, did the final order determine you (or you and your wife) to be fully responsible for the financial well being of your granddaughter. If not, you may not be legally responsible for full payment to the ER doctor. This is a legal matter that would need the attention of an attorney who knows state law, and possibly the laws of two states if the accident occurred outside the state where you live.

2. I would be very diligent and closely follow the charges brought against the 36 yr. old guy by law enforcement. It seems to me that law enforcement may charge the driver under criminal statues since a child was killed by extreme reckless driving, and possible other criminal charges if they determine he ‘stole’ your car. Since numerous witnesses were involved in both situations, and each are likely to give differing statements to police as to what happened, I would want as much distance from the driver as possible as I suspect lawsuits will be brought by the parents of the teenager killed in the accident as well others who sustained injuries. Any statements made to law enforcement by your granddaughter or her friends at the store that unambiguously describe her as an unwilling participant would be helpful, and may help in your defense should you be named as a co-defendant since owning the car if 3rd party suits are filed. Conversely, if the youngsters involved said that your granddaughter ‘gave’ the keys to the 36 yr. old guy, I think that could be a game changer in the eyes of a jury if your state has a legal doctrine based on comparative negligence Washington University Law Quarterly: A COMPARISON OF COMPARATIVE NEGLIGENCE STATUTES: JURY ALLOCATION OF FAULT--DO DEFENDANTS RISK PAYING FOR THE FAULT OF NONPARTY TORTFEASORS?. For the avoidance of doubt, do not try to sway the opinions of witnesses as law enforcement may view that as witness tampering, and then you’ll have another nightmare to deal with. However, you (or your attorney) do have the right to challenge the fact finding and conclusions of law enforcement, and taking an active vs. passive approach may be in your best interests.

3. Think about your relationship w/ your insurer(s), especially if asked to sign release papers. I don’t know your insurance or other state laws regarding subrogation of claims. Some build in a waiver of subrogation in the insurance policy so the insurer may already have that right. Another related issue is whether the insurer will provide legal representation, and whether you have any right to hire your own counsel (or co-counsel) to represent your interests. Generally, in many situations, the interests of the insurer and policyholder are properly aligned. However, if my auto insurer (and possibly an insurer providing excess liability coverage) viewed the situation as one where the maximum policy limits are going to be breached, I would wonder whether they would be financially motivated to vigorously defend my interests and increase their litigation costs if knowing they’re going to payout the maximum possible. Again, a competent attorney would need to advise.

Old 09-11-10, 09:18 AM
DUD
To follow up finally, the ER Doctor has agreed to accept $25.00 a month on My debit card on the 9th of each month. I will live with that as it was what I intended to do anyway. That is done, Thanks.

The 36 yr old dude was arrested for leaving the scene of an accident, vehicular homicide, endagering the welfare of minors, unauthorized use of a motor vehichle, and several other items. He pleaded not guilty earlier,bond is $500,000.00 cash only. His trial comes up the 14th in circuit court and I will be there.

Lawyers have been hired by the 2 boys parents that were hurt in the wreck, the GrandMother of the deceased boy accepted the maximum of My insurance without legal interest. The other 2 boys parents have had the boys change their srories about what has happened in order to try to get more money from Me. Their attorney have indicated a willingous to settle without going over the limits of My policy. One of them signed off Friday, and it was the boy who was hurt the worst.

The State police is handling the case as it happened out on a state highway and are only using statements taken at most 3 days after the wreck, so the changing of the stories doesn't help in the criminal trial. I feel that when the claim is finally settled that I will lose an insurance company that I have been with since 1964. Bill

Old 09-13-10, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I think DUD's comment is truer than not. Many people go to the emergency room, get treated and disappear. The bills are never paid.
Just out of curiousity, how do you know that? This is a big country with many clinics and hospitals. Did a number of people brag to you personally telling you all the bills they accumulated but never paid?

Old 09-13-10, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Just out of curiousity, how do you know that? This is a big country with many clinics and hospitals. Did a number of people brag to you personally telling you all the bills they accumulated but never paid?
Actually, there was a news program a couple of months ago when the health care debate was going on. The gist of the program was that the reason emergency room treatment was so expensive was that a lot of people that don't have any health insurance go to the emergency room for what should be routine health care services. Add on top of that the emergency treatment for the gang banger stabbed or shot, the illegal injured in a car accident, etc. You end up with a lot of people getting free medical care and the cost gets passed on to the consumer - the insurance companies.

Old 09-14-10, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I spose now that that show aired, there are even MORE people going there now!

Old 09-15-10, 09:16 AM
Ray - The UCMJ lists adultery as a sub article to punitive article 134. If you're familiar with the UCMJ you'll recognize it as the "catch all" that prosecutor's use to lump in everything outside of the other punitive articles. IIRC the sub article emphasizes that the offense must have disrupted good order and discipline or reflected badly on the service.

I only know of one instance where an individual was charged and court martialled for adultery. It was a mid grade officer that was doing a junior enlisted's wife.

Can you imagine the effect if all the hanky panky going on in the military were prosecuted?

Old 09-15-10, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Ouch Wayne......I used to resemble that remark.....lol.

Old 09-19-10, 10:04 AM
DUD
In more than one instance Our local hospitals have blamed emergency rooms for being the reason they raised ther rates. It is also the reason that They no longer pay the Doctors in ER. Having been there I know they made Me sign paperwork saying that I knew the Dr,s portion would be billed seperate. Bil;l

Old 09-24-10, 05:16 AM
My neighbor's 11 year old was taken to the emergency room yesterday. He took a kick to the shin during a soccer game. After 5 hours in the emergency room waiting for X rays and to see a doctor. The total time with the DR was less than 15 minutes. Diagnosis a bone bruise, treatment none - go home and ice it.

Total bill - $1500.00