Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Do you think he was a for-real bounty hunter???

Old 09-12-10, 10:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I was sitting out by rental property yesterday with a neighbor, and in drives this guy with out of state plates from like 2000 miles away. He says he is wondering if we knew if there were any vacant rentals. I told him not at the moment - but if he had come about 1-2 months earlier there would have been - and that the last rental was filled by questionable people from out of state, that had to take a bus to get here with no belongings and no car.

When I asked what brought him to our area, he had no good answer as to why he would have a reason to move here. So now at a loss for words, and hearing what I just told him about the questionable people in the rental - the stocky, nice dressed guy says that he was not telling me the truth when he said earlier that he was from this other state out on the west coast, and instead changed his story, and now said he was really contracted from a southern state and was a bounty hunter, here to take with him the very guy that was in the rental mentioned! Yipes!

He had a woman out there in the nice car with him, and the car had no backseat divider screen. So I asked him how we knew who he said he was? I asked him why some guy(the renter's boyfriend) would want to voluntarily just get in the car with him so he could return him back to where he came from (jail?) about 800 miles away, without any real proof? He said he had papers and I could call up who he works for. I didn't. I wanted this potential trouble to just go away. I didn't want cops, city and county, to come swarming and sit out there hashing all this with cops for an hour or whatever, so we let the matter be, and simply became observers and listeners(like screaming, gunshots or whatever) - and the bounty hunter went to the rental.

My neighbor and I discussed this further, and said we smell a rat. So my neighbor drove around to the area the car went and looked at the guy's license plate - and it was from the first )west coast) state he mentioned, that he said he WASN'T from, yet the plate was from there.

My neighbor knew the guy (bounty hunter?) did not know my neighbor's vehicle - that is why my neighbor had the nerve to go snoop. My neighbor comes back to say that they are all outside apparently peacefully discussing something, and that it appeared the bounty hunter? had papers as claimed.

This morning I went to talk to a relative of the guys' girlfriend on the premises, without me first offering any hint or opinions. The relative then told me it was a bounty hunter, paid $2000 to come and get the boyfriend, for jumping bond, for whatever reason. And that the boyfriend the bounty hunter was coming to get, voluntarily got in the car and away they all went!

We saw no gun or handcuffs. Nothing to indicate he was like Dog the Bounty hunter.

The self-professed bounty hunter, when I told him where our police dept was located did not say anything to the fact that the police knew of his presence here today! Wouldn't you at least think that they would?, in case there was trouble?, and the bounty hunter needed back up?

For all I know the supposed dude that broke his bond agreement went to town to use a phone, days earlier in secret, and called some buddy or dope dealing partner up, to help him escape his girlfriend, and to secretly go off on some drug deal mission or something.

What can I do, as far as my right to public records, to find out more about the truth regarding the bounty hunter, and the guy he picked up?, by say talking to the gov't of that other state?, or even our local police dept., on such policies regarding bounty hunters?

Oh. Why didn't I ask the bounty hunter for ID? Like I said, I did not want trouble. What if he said, "ALL right mister!!" And pulled a gun?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-10, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
As I understand...bounty hunters (or more properly "bail enforcement agent") have almost complete latitude when it comes to recovering people. They don't operate under the same laws as police...nor are they required to. They are not required to get search warrants, they aren't responsible for damage at a property where they find someone, many places they aren't even licensed.

Many of these types just use persuasion to get people back (otherwise known as lying!).

Dog the BH is just like WWE.....done for entertainment. Real life is much different.

Old 09-12-10, 11:16 AM
Huh. You'd think there could be possible danger to innocent bystanders!

Many people don't want to have to go back to jail, and will do anything to avoid a return trip. Why wouldn't this be a police matter? Isn't it illegal to break bail?

Old 09-12-10, 11:52 AM
Police don't have the manpower to do that type work. The bail jumper violated the law, but the person who put up the bail has satisfied the court system by the possible forfeiture of the entire bond, not just the 10% the crook put up. So it is their responsibility to recapture the individual in order to recover the bond amount by presenting them to the court. That's why they hire bounty hunters. Cops have to go back through the court system to get search warrants, etc, and they have to watch their actions. Bounty hunters only have to locate the guy and pull his chain.
Dog is an actor who had a lucky find that made him famous. He is not the norm. In most cases you don't even know they exist. No flash.

Old 09-12-10, 12:07 PM
Well, Larry?, the guy maybe then was on the up and up. No flash. But it sure seems like a dangerous profession to engage in and for people nearby. You would not think this action be allowed, legally.

Ever see that show on tv where they repossess vehicles? THOSE get darn right confrontational. And those people aren't even going to jail. Only getting their vehicle, that they know darn well they weren't making current payments on, taken.

Old 09-12-10, 04:14 PM
Oh, it is dangerous, alright. The takedown must be clean and quick to reduce that danger.
Those repo shows are "shows" that invite that stuff. I'm sure Tow Guy has in his inventory, or has seen in use the back under, lift up, tow to a safe place hook mechanisms for repo wreckers. You stay in the cab during the entire process. There's little need for that type confrontation, IMO.

Old 09-13-10, 04:32 PM
I learned right from the horses mouth this mornng that the guy was a bounty hunter. Her boyfriend went peaceably because the bounty hunter said if he did not come with him, the police would get him for not appearing in court, and might have to spend months in jail up here before being extradicted back to the southern state. So the boyfriend went. The girlfriend says he will probably be in jail down there for at least months. Then we don't know what might happen.