Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Is it against the law for lovers to run away together while they are married?

Old 09-13-10, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I know that affairs happen all the time. But is this worse and illegal? And maybe more illegal if the one person is collecting child support from someone else? The way I understand it, they'd get a divorce, but can't afford one.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-10, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
In the United States, laws vary from state to state. In those states where adultery is still on the statute book (although rarely prosecuted), penalties vary from life sentence (Michigan),[46] to a fine of $10 (Maryland), to a Class I felony (Wisconsin).[47] In the U.S. Military, adultery is a potential court-martial offense.[15] The enforceability of adultery laws in the United States is unclear following Supreme Court decisions since 1965 relating to privacy and sexual intimacy of consenting adults.[48] However, occasional prosecutions do occur. Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
/wiki/Adultery#North_America

Old 09-13-10, 06:19 PM
Don't forget the Mann Act of 1910. Current versions relate to transporting minors across state lines, but originally it was intended for transporting females across state lines for immoral purposes. That's a federal crime.

Old 09-14-10, 04:09 PM
Okay all you adulterers. I guess you'd better head over to Maryland!

Old 09-14-10, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Don't forget the Mann Act of 1910.
Uh. (slap)How could I possibly have forgot THAT!

Current versions relate to transporting minors across state lines, but originally it was intended for transporting females across state lines for immoral purposes. That's a federal crime.
But where does marriage fit in with this?

Old 09-18-10, 10:56 PM
I know that affairs happen all the time. But is this worse and illegal? And maybe more illegal if the one person is collecting child support from someone else? The way I understand it, they'd get a divorce, but can't afford one.

OMG!!!-ecman51` What really is your question? Getting a divorce on your own, which I did, would total around $500+, however in AZ you can get your fee waived or defered until finalized. So cost should not be the issue.

Someone collecting child support would not make a difference, because the birth parent is still responsible for that child, not the new step parent. I'm not a lawyer, so double check in their state. I would be caring more about that child than what is legal or not. This child didn't ask to come into this world and be involved with different people in their life. Question is, what's more important to the woman/man, her/his sexual life or the mental and physical well been of that child. All I can say is that is Sad, very sad.

Old 09-19-10, 05:48 AM
The legality probably depends on the support agreement. If the person paying child support has visitation rights granted in the divorce then typically the custody parent cannot take the child out of state without the other parents permission.