Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

who's responsible for a multi car crash?

Old 10-17-10, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator

My son got rear ended at a red light this afternoon
His car was totaled and pushed into several cars in front of him. The 1st one he hit may have also been totaled.

Will all this be covered by the insurance of the guy that hit him? or is he liable for the cars he was pushed into?

My biggest concern is his insurance premiums. He is already paying a higher rate because an uninsured girl flipped her car off of the road and landed on top of his sports car totaling it. That was about 2 yrs ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-10, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
I would think it would be all on the person who caused the crash...though I dunno if you are in a no fault state (Hate that phrase...had to be someones fault!).

And isn't the uninsured thing great? You have to have it...but when it gets used...you pay more....wth??

Uhhh and mark...maybe he shouldn't have a sports car? How bout a nice 10 y/o Camry? lol

Old 10-17-10, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I used to live in fla when they changed to no fault. The paper said everyone's rates would go down - mine went up $50 a year

Fortunately tenn isn't a no fault state. Talked to my son a little bit ago, apparently he was the 2nd car hit. They guy never slowed down [or not till the last minute] and hit the car behind my son, totaling my sons car out in the rear and substantial damage to the front. Also totaled the car behind him and I assume the driver's at fault vehicle. Both airbags deployed. I don't know if the guy was drinking or what but that red light is kind of like the end of the road [it's just an alley on the other side of the intersection]

Oh, he hasn't had a sports car since that girl parked her car on top of it...... and because it was an older car [in great shape] he only got a third of what it was worth I think his Honda is about 12 yrs old.... and he just bought new tires a week or so ago.

Old 10-17-10, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, now that I got the facts straight, it looks like my son is responsible at least for his car and passenger.

3 cars stopped at an intersection, 1st vehicle was an old man that had never been in an accident before. He has a dodge durango and the rear was damaged but the vehicle was drivable. He had insurance.
2nd car was a camry front and rear damage, not drivable, no insurance.
3rd car, my son's honda accord had the front clip knocked off [for the most part] and the rear bumper pushed in above the rear axle. His passenger was bruised and went to the ER. Fortunately the girl that was supposed to be in the back seat, decided not to go with them.
The 4th vehicle was mini van that caused the accident. She claimed her brakes went out, she had no insurance.

Since he doesn't have towing or rental, just liability, he doesn't get a rental car and I'll have to take him back and forth to work until he gets something to drive He'll also have to fight with his ins to get about half of what the car is worth