Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Should I get reimbursed for all the money and time I put in old house ?

Old 01-15-11, 09:09 PM

My niece lived in my momís house for a few years after mom died. My sister had her move Spring 2010 bc she wanted to put it up for sale on the internet but no one called. 1951 house needed a lot of work. My sister knew her daughter had pet ferrets and rats and allowed them to pee and what ever and didnít clean it up and it smelled like amonia and she smelled it, too. Carpet was torn up but it was old but liveable when she moved in , but not out. So I had to air the house out all summer till Oct .
I drove there three times a week from end of May till end of Dec.
I worked outside and then inside for six hours each time I went there. I wrote it all down. I was there 82 times and takes me 20 min to get there. My sister never helped. I, my son and my husband cut down trees to help dry out the house. Niece bent and broke the corner of rainspout and allowed the rain to pour down and make a hole and water got in basement. She said she was up on roof. She was to take care of yard and inside but didnít. I raked thick leaves and found hole against house. I carried wheel barrels of dirt for out front of house and planted grass seed. We power washed porches, house, I trimmed all the hedges, he painted shutters, put on two ext doors, new roof put on, I tore down and hauled out attic insulation, we hauled out moms old furniture and a bunch of my nieces junk she left behind bc she was too lazy to help, tore up ,peed up and moldy carpets, installed new floor, new carpet, new oven (she never cleaned grease off old one) painted all rooms, caulked all molding and windows. I kept all receipts. Question: shouldnít I get reimbursed for my time and gas also? I am asking $10 per hour but will only ask for $2500 not $4920.00 and $200 for gas. Also, we used a lot of our own money and not getting interest.now. Also, $1000 bc my niece didnít pay $2000 rent last year (5 mths), we even payed to have her gas dryer hooked up for some dumb reason and payed to have it unhooked for her. Or should I ask for more wage? My sister retired and only wants to stay home and watch tv all day and wants nothing to do with the house. I was too nice to her when mom died bc mom left me more money then her so I decided to split it and gave her half and didn't have to and shouldn't of. I know i will ask for most of the money on things we bought, but what about my time and gas since she didn't want to lend a hand?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-11, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nice guys(ladies) finish last. It is great that you have a heart as big as all outdoors, but it will get you into fiscal trouble. Settling an estate is a business and no emotions should enter the arena. What you have done is done. Was there a will? How was the house left? To both equally? If so, sell the house, take the money derived from the sale, divide it and take your time, materials, gas, etc. out of your sister's portion and present her with the balance. There will be an explosion, but so be it. As far as your niece's back rent, that's different. She was renting from both of you, so you would only be able to recover half of that.
Quit babying the niece. She learned to ride a bike when she was let go......she can learn to budget when let go.

Old 01-16-11, 06:26 AM
Should I get eimbursed

My sister and I were on the will. My 40 yr old neice moved out last Spring and I do not talk to her. The rent she owed was $2000 that is why I said $1000. I was wondering if it was ok to get reimbursed for my time and gas since my sister offered no help and she thinks the house is a waste. My son is renting it now this Jan. I told my sister we had to fix it up to rent out bc we will owe taxes this year and need an income. Also, what do you mean by fiscal trouble? Spending too much? thank you

Last edited by Koalabay52; 01-16-11 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 11:35 AM
Fiscal trouble. Sometimes we let our feelings for individuals get in the way of good logical sense. For instance you are pouring labor, materials, gas into this project, and not only that, but helped with her gas dryer hook up. All this is probably exactly what I would do, but keeping it in perspective as a business transaction is sometimes difficult.
I say since your sister thinks it is a waste, she should not have a problem with you retaining the lion's share of the sale price, when you decide to sell it. I doubt your sister will ante up the amount you have poured into it at this point, since she has shown no interest in it so far. Maybe with your son's rent, you can make the taxes, and keeping all your reciepts and making a ledger showing times, dates, gas, etc. you can, at a later date, recover this amount.
Good luck with this, and, no, I can't say you are spending too much. You have to make it livable, or you will damage your investment. Sometimes it takes time.

Old 01-16-11, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Koalabay52 View Post
Should you - yes, can you legally - probably not

I would suggest keeping good records of your expenses pertaining to this property. If you sell it, it's possible you might get reimbursed but I wouldn't bank on it until a lawyer, maybe judge says so.

Old 01-16-11, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
When you sell the house (and it sounds like it will be you doing that from the others track record) you take what you deserve. Time, material, the whole ball of wax. If your sister complains, explain why. If she is still upset and takes you to "The peoples court" keep your fist full of receipts at hand.

Old 01-16-11, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
To me, it seems that you are simply making capital improvements. The house that you and your sister now own is the capital. Your time and investment went into the house, hers did not. That is between you and her. Did 100% of your investment of time and materials increase the value of the house accordingly? Not likely. There is almost no improvement that you can make to a house that you will be able to recuperate 100% of.

If you were contracted to do the work, yes, you would obviously be entitled to payment. Since it is your own property, you will only be able to get compensation if you sell the house and work out an equitable arrangement with your sister. I'd keep it out of the courts if you ever want to speak to your sister again. But that's just me. Some things are more important than money.

The problem will probably enter in if you did things over and above what your sister agreed should be done. Basically you have a partnership where you should have agreed on what was to be done so that there are no misunderstandings.

Old 01-16-11, 05:32 PM
Should I get reimbursed for the money

I told my sister a couple times last summer we were cutting down trees so the sun could help dry it out. She just shrugged it off. I don't mind not getting paid for doing some chores outside, but her daughter was to trim and mow but she didn't. She couldn't even remove her snow shovels out of the bush out front last spring beginning of April. I just couldn't go inside for a couple mths bc the odor was very strong and unhealthyand hard to get your breath. But everytime I would visit my sister she always seems to put me down. 'Why do I do that?', 'why do I say that'?, 'why did I drive there?' Also to her I have to common sense. I thought my son would have moved there in Oct but I didn't know it was going to take that long to paint. but he's in now. A month ago she was telling people we are trying to "dump" the place. Excuse me! She has no clue how nice it looks inside and out. She is 65 and I am younger. She wants the money and I can understand but the place is not selling so I and my husband fixed it up to be liveable and rent it out. I have no money in that house' checking account and a couple bills are due and taxes coming up. She has no common sense . Thanks to her daughter ripping us off we could have over 2 grand. I know I shouldn't bring up the money I split with her,but after I did I remembered mom giving her thousands to buy her house and travel air fare to go down under. Too late now about that. But she never said thanks to me for giving her my money. I'm just tired of her putting me down or giving me heck for stupid things. I will visit this week but don't want to tell her we had to install a new roof $4300. She will explode but house has been leaking for a few years and that makes the house crumble. I know a new roof will help to sell. Maybe if I tell her I want $13000 more when we go to sell, she just may agree for me to buy her out a lot cheaper.

Old 01-17-11, 01:39 PM
Who owns the house?

If the house is still in an estate then who is the executor?

The owner (or the estate) should pay you as you go or the owner (or the executor) can sign a loan note so you are paid when the house is sold.

Taking out an equity loan is one idea. All owners must sign it and when the house is sold, the loan is paid off and then the rest of the money is divvied up.

Old 01-18-11, 04:01 AM
this isn't a thread for this forum,,, either try the ' how to get along w/family members when there's $$$ involved ' forum instead or retain counsel !

Old 01-18-11, 04:54 AM
I thought we were doing pretty good in trying to help someone who needed it. Got anything positive to add?

Old 01-18-11, 01:06 PM
Should I get reimbursed for all the money

Stadry, I got off track. We usually do get along. You prob didn't read my orig question. My sister and I own the house.
I just wanted to know if it was legal or moral for me to get reimbursed for most of my hard work of average 6 hrs per day not getting home till 7pm and gas for driving there, 20 min away. I thought she and I would have fun fixing up the place but she never showed up. I have to keep the house from leaking , keep the outside mowed, trimmed and inside new paint. Then I got off track bc when I think about her just sitting at home and that I have no common sense, I say I have to protect our investments. That is when I say I am due my time and gas plus other things we had to buy. Would anyone else ask for he gas and some hard work plus new roof , new flooring?

Last edited by Koalabay52; 01-18-11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
I think he meant it should be in a different topic , so I moved it to the Legal Advice topics.

Old 02-03-11, 01:28 PM
You should generally be entitled to be reimbursed from the proceeds of the sale of the home for those things you have receipts for (paint, carpet, landscaping supplies, etc.). In most cases, except in rare circumstances, you would not be entitled to recover for your time unless you had an agreement with your sister in advance that you would be reimbursed for this as well. Your gas is a toss-up; again, you'd have to have receipts and logs of the dates and miles to document this part.

However, this assumes that your sister is smart enough to challenge your claim for time and gas. It wouldn't hurt to put in some official looking receipts and logs for all this labor and see if she balks when the house sells and it is time to split the proceeds. She may just let it go by.

Old 02-05-11, 05:46 PM
Last week my sister and I were disgussing something concerning her daughter and alarge bill we paid for her when she lived there . I wasn't even angry ; just mentioned it. Then her daughter sent me a nasty email about not fixing the place up for her when she lived there, but for my son now. I said my mom's house was livable when you moved in and your mom and I couldn't put a lot of money into it when we thought the property was going to be sold for a gas station. THen she moved out and I had to fix it up and put a roof on bc it really leaked. I repied with no swear words. I even said I was never nasty to you bc I would have made you pay the 5 rents you did not. SHe told my sister and I got a nasty email today from my 66 yr old sister with a copy of mom's will saying mom left everything to both of us. Now she says she wants half of a diamond ring mom gave me. But my sister gotthe queen size bed I bought and gave mom yrs ago but she had in her back bedroom and it was still up against the wall she never used. I only used it for 5 yrs. She also has the antique Singer sewing machine mom had. Plus she wants half the money I put into that house I used out of our checking account for the house . Which is only $600 for 2 new doors. She' get $300. She said since she got beat a lot from dad in the 2 yrs she only lived there 1960-62 that is why she didn't come help. She has no proof I have any diamond. I know she has the two things I mentioned, but I can't proove it. I think the diamond ring is only worth a few hundred dollars, but mom told me she wanted me to have it. I am not going to respond to her. She just bought a house in Florida and doesn't have her house up for sale yet here in PA. I hope she moves down there in a couple months. She and her daughter have issues - both on meds. OH such drama .