Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

how does licensed and bonded benefit consumer?

Old 01-22-11, 10:20 AM

I had a mason do some work so I could have a woodstove installed where a fireplace with heatilator had been. When the stove installers came they said they couldn't install because of exposed wood being too close. I've since had 4 masons come look at the situation and all agree with the installers and say the problem is that the mason didn't do the work correctly. He left a large gap where he should have closed with brick. Plus, to fix it they'd have to remove at least half of the previous work. The mason that did the poor work is licensed and bonded. Does the license or bond help in this situation? I paid him to do work that I will now have to pay to have removed
Thanks in advance for your help
Boze

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-11, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Does the license or bond help in this situation?
Not really, but if he's a reputable business, he'd want to make it right and come out and fix the problem. Have you called him? If you did, and he doesn't want to own up, you can always take him to small claims court, altho that can be a hassle.

Old 01-22-11, 12:27 PM
I contacted him the day the installers came and gave me the 'no go'. He said he thought the exposed wood was far enough away. I didn't ask him to do anything at that time since I only had the installers word against his. That was 3 1/2 weeks ago.
I just emailed him yesterday morning to let him know what the other masons told me. If he doesn't reply or call with an offer of some sort of reimbursement or fix I'll email him again after a few days and specifically ASK if he has anything he can offer. I'm using email so I have something in writing.

As far as the licensed and bonded what's the purpose of having that? I've heard to be sure a contractor you hire has that.

Old 01-22-11, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Licensed basically means you have the governments authority to do business. Depending on local laws this could mean as little as just having a business license or having passed an exam and paid fees to be certified [like an electrician]

While I used to have my own business and was licensed, I wasn't bonded. I think bonded is basically an insurance policy the business owner pays for - I'm not sure what all it covers and it might vary a bit between trades. If the mason doesn't step up to the plate, you might see if contacting your local BBB does any good. Would it be possible/feasible to enclose the gap with metal?

Old 02-17-11, 05:56 AM
Thanks tow_guy. Somehow I missed your response until today.

Thanks to everyone for the info they provided. In this case it doesn't look like licensed & bonded will do much to help but it's still probably a good thing to look for in a contractor.