not in the jurisdiction of this court

Old 06-12-11, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
not in the jurisdiction of this court

I got a letter in the mail from the magistrate in the county where I opened a case against someone (read the "I got ripped off" thread for more info if interested). I started this thread separately since the other was getting long and off topic a little. The letter says the case is not within the jurisdiction of that court because the person does not live at that address, another person does.

The address I gave them is the same address he put as his on the bill of sale to me and the same address he put as his on the previous bill of sale from where he bought the item from another person. The person they found that lives there is his girlfriend. It's also the address I picked up the item from.

I plan to call the magistrate office and inform them of that much but is there anything else I should do? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-11, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
This is starting to sound like fraud, now. When you get him to court, they're going to want to know why he gave you a phony address, and this won't play well for him.
Anyways, go to People Search & Directory Services Powered By Intelius to find his real address. It'll cost $1 for that info or you could even do a background check on him for $40.

Old 06-12-11, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks! I went to that site and got the address info. He may currently be living in my county. I am an acquaintance of the sheriff here, so I think I'll go see him. I got his DOB and 3 addresses for $1.95.

The boat I bought from him was at the address on the bill of sale, and the pictures of the boat on craigslist were with the boat at that address, and since the transaction took place there, wouldn't it put this case in the jurisdiction of that county? Even if he lives in this county... or...?

Old 06-12-11, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think things can vary by locale. My wife worked for a company that paid her with bad checks. She worked in one state and the company was based in another. Our state would not prosecute because the check originated across the border. The other state arrested him but then let him go because the check was not handed over in that state

Talking to your local sheriff is a good idea. I'm sure from what he knows, and who he'd know for you to talk to - that should help you figure out how to proceed. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 06-22-11, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
An update, end to the story:

I talked with the sheriff and he got in touch with the guy and he agreed to be served at the address I gave them. They did. The guy has no real full time address apparently. Lost cause I guess. A neighbor liked the boat and asked about making a trade. I filled him in about the speed of the boat and he wanted it anyway, so I traded. Now I'll dismiss the case. Turned out to be a blessing after all... funny how that works. He traded me a 20' deck boat w/115 hp johnson for it and a few other things. Thanks for the advice and I'm glad I didn't have to go further with it. I doubt I would have gotten anything back anyway.

Old 06-22-11, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would agree things worked out well. Will you be able to transfer title on it and the trailer, since all the shady stuff took place? I guess if you have a bill of sale, you're good. I would just be concerned, since he has no address, the title may not be good.

Old 06-22-11, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
I'm sure you would have won in court, but you're right - it would be difficult to collect from this crook. Glad things worked out for you otherwise.

Search this Thread