Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page > Requirement(s) to take the bar exam in DC/Md/Virginia?

Requirement(s) to take the bar exam in DC/Md/Virginia?

Old 08-01-11, 10:51 AM
Requirement(s) to take the bar exam in DC/Md/Virginia?

I heard that if you worked 3 years in a law office you don't need a law degree to take the bar degree.

Ergo I'd assume that a paralegal that has worked for >3 years in a law office could take the bar?

I can't find anything online to support or disprove this

?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-11, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know if it is still true but at least at one time here in Texas there was no requirement for a law degree. You just had to pass the bar.

Old 08-01-11, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Might be bar eligible without a law degree but getting hired afterward is another story

Old 08-01-11, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Wiki is your friend
Reading law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia See under modern practices and Ref 6 here VBBE - Law Reader Program - Rules & Regulations

Unless someone is really in good with a practicing lawyer who meets the requirements. will spend the time and effort, and is willing to provide all the required documentation....probably never happen.

Old 08-01-11, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you live in the area where you are interested in the exams, a call to the local bar association should get you quick and accurate answers.

Old 08-01-11, 01:15 PM
Mitch was spot on about getting hired without a degree, but it may be possible to take the bar in some states without a degree. In some states, it is necessary to have an attorney endorse that the time spent was all all sufficient for the requirements and you were not just a gopher for sandwiches and doing very basic research. A good, strong reference from a respected attorney can go a long way.

When I was in law school or Professor in a class was served by a sheriff in front of the class for taking a car across the state boarder for body work. - His client was earlier charged for hit and run. I was a registered engineer at the time and when this happened and I also happened to open up the yellow pages and saw the number of attorneys, I decided to pull the pin on law, since I not afford to go through the following hoops for less money for quite a few years.

Dick

Old 08-01-11, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like you, Dick, when I was getting my degree, it was taylored for future law school. Sadly, but gladly, I was not able to afford law school. Disgruntled, I looked in the Atlanta yellow pages and found over 100 pages of attorneys ! I just wasn't ready to be cast into a melting pot of thousands of attorneys. Glad it worked out that way. 40+ years later, I'm doing what I want to do, not what I have to do. I think the old AMF Voit commercials had it right....."some live to work.....others work to live".

Search this Thread