Hartford Disability

Old 08-18-11, 08:12 PM
Hartford Disability

I went on Hartford long term disability app. 6 years ago. After I was awarded SS disability, I had to refund most of the payments they had made to me, and then started receiving the Standard $100.00 monthly payment.
Now Hartford is saying that since I will be 66 years old in September, I will be going on Regular SS and they will no longer be sending me a payment.
How did Hartford determine this
Is it legal, or do I need to seek legal advise

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-11, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Disability/SS really sucks as an area to try and muddle through on your own, I'd get an attorney.

Old 08-19-11, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Just not those guys that advertise on TV...please! Those ads drive me crazy!

Old 08-19-11, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty much all the attorney ads I see on TV these days are national - the attorney running the ad isn't near you and just hires someone near you to work the case and take a reduced fee. I wouldn't hire someone like that either.

Old 08-19-11, 04:04 PM
I really don't fully understand your answer---maybe I wasn't clear in my wording.
While I was employed I became unable to work because of serious spinal degeneration and hand surgery. I received a substancial monthly payment from Hartford while off from work for two years and then was required by my employer to retire or come back to work. Before Hartford would award --long term disability--I was required to sign an agreement to reimburse Hartford when I was awarded SS Disability. I sent Hartford a substancial amount of money which came from the "Back Pay" that I received from SS.
In other words--I could not receive double payments!!
Hartford then started sending me $100.00 per month.
I really think Hartford can stop because they are not required to pay for the rest of my life---I just want to be sure.
I was awarded SS Disability with my first request without a single problem.

Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Disability/SS really sucks as an area to try and muddle through on your own, I'd get an attorney.

Old 08-19-11, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
I really don't fully understand your answer---maybe I wasn't clear in my wording.
Yes, you were clear. I think he means that on one can really answer your question except an attorney. Since you're on disability and unless you have a ton of money in the bank, you should be eligible for legal aid.