Building a Parking Space next to house?

Old 08-20-11, 02:54 PM
Building a Parking Space next to house?

We have 3 people in the house with cars, and the garage only fits 2, so the 3rd person always has to move the car as she parks on the driveway.

I talked with the City and County dept about laying down concrete on the side of the house next to a neighbor so she can park there instead. According to the regs, the space would need to be 9 feet wide. She said that it would require 3 feet of additional space to get permission.

Ithere a way to get around this? Alternatively, I was wondering if I could just put 2 footpaths and say this was for people to walk to the back of the house.

Thank you,

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-11, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by greg6826 View Post
.... for people to walk to the back of the house.
As they sashay hand in hand? Good luck. If the municipality has told you what they expect, it won't change. How much room is there from the garage to the property line?

Old 08-20-11, 05:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Greg!

I wonder if they would be more lenient with gravel ?? sometimes temporary versus permanent makes a difference.

Old 08-20-11, 06:07 PM
greg -

How well do you get along with your neighbor?

What is the direction on the drainage?

Dick

Old 08-20-11, 07:26 PM
Hi Chandler,

Its about 12 feet from my house to the other house, and they say that I need 9 feet for the space and 3 extra feet, which is the neighbor's property.

Hi Marksr,

Hmm, I'll ask them if I can use gravel.

Hi Concretemasonry,

The neighbor rents out his house, so I never actually met them. I'm not too sure there is a drainage, its covered with a lawn.

Thanks,

Greg

Old 08-21-11, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is only 12' between the 2 houses, where is the property line?

I think Dick's concern with drainage is where will the rain water go if it is no longer able to soak into the ground like it can now. Grass will suck up some water, hard packed ground not so much. With concrete the water will have to flow to somewhere.

Old 08-21-11, 06:32 AM
If my math is correct the line is right in the middle, thus 6' to line plus the 3 extra feet they are suggesting to get the 9' required width.

Bud

Old 08-21-11, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But if there is 12' between houses and the line is at the 6' mark, you ain't getting 9', no way. That is why they turned it down. If you need 9', you ain't got it without encroaching on the neighbor's property. Basically you have 3' to work with, since the authority said 3' was needed for buffer. Still do the walkway, though

Old 08-21-11, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
What about a perpendicular extension off the lower end of the driveway into your yard? Make it gravel with landscaping around it to help it blend to the yard.

Old 09-29-11, 06:30 AM
How long is the driveway? If its long enough, you could park the third car at the bottom of the driveway (as near to the street as possible) and the cars that use the garage can still drive around the third car. I do this at my house, where my garage is approx 50' long.

Old 10-13-11, 01:58 AM
I'd pour a concrete turn-out off of the driveway into my yard, in front of the house and away from the neighbor's place. Pretty it up with exposed aggregate and some flashy landscaping, and it can actually be a plus should you ever decide to sell. Use curved bender-board forms to give it some flair, or really dress it up by using some colored concrete borders on each side and the end.