Propane Tanks

Old 10-22-11, 12:22 PM
Propane Tanks

Hello. I am new to this forum. I live in NJ in a mobile home and use propane for heat and cooking (only). After enough price gouging I am going to switch companies. I have several who would love to gain a contract. (Yes I am doing my homework) The only "contract" I have has no mention of a time length or that they are even "their tanks". My manager says they are. When I filled it out it was basically for credit check only as I just continuing from the last owner. Anyway last week they sent out a letter to all of their customers (They had no knowledge of my decision to get rid of them so it was just a coincidence) The letter basically just says all the things they can charge for which some do and don't apply. I did call them and ask about a few things and they said there aren't any real changes. It is just a notice. Anyway in the form they say they can charge to come get their tanks if I or they terminate the contract. People I talk to say NO WAY- THEY AREN'T YOURS, IF THEY WANT THEM THEY HAVE TO COME GET THEM! Just like a car lease - when done you turn it in. Can anyone help?
P.S. I did have to eventually tell them of my intentions as I had to make sure they did not fill. She seemed like she could care less

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-11, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure of your local laws, but the tank belongs to the gas company. If they want to maintain ownership after you legally terminate your contract, they will have to pick it up.
I was in a similar situation with a smaller 200 gallon tank set up. We don't use propane except for my generator, gas logs and an emergency stove in the basement. Turns out the last time I bought gas was 2007, so they have been charging me $74 per year "rent" since I didn't buy gas. If I had the tank filled each year, no rent. I told them to come and get their tank as it was not economically feasible for me to keep it and pay them for it to sit in my yard. It was basically empty, anyway. They will sell me a tank for $500 (new). They won't sell me my old one. I bought a 100 gallon on Ebay for $240 and can have it filled anywhere I want, just load it on the truck and take it to a gas company. No contract involved. 100 gallons is fine for our use.

Old 10-22-11, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
100 gallon tank for primary heat and cooking ...in NJ? You sure about that Larry?

Hmm...I think I may be confusing pounds and gallons.....

Old 10-22-11, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
100 gallon tank for primary heat and cooking ...in NJ? You sure about that Larry?

Hmm...I think I may be confusing pounds and gallons.....
Vic, He's talking about his own limited use tank in Georgia.

Old 10-22-11, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
DUhhhh I read "our" as "your".........prob the sinus/allergy meds....my head is throbbing.

Old 10-22-11, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I was just suggesting they look in to buying their own tank. They, then, could call whomever they wanted for gas without a contract. Naw, NJ, you need a big tank for primary. Mine is minimal use.

Old 10-22-11, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
If your in NJ I would stay away from that Suburban named place. Its just getting worse and worse with the gouging with them. Just my opinion.

My buddy lives out toward PA. I know he uses the place I linked below. I am not on propane and am only going but what he says that thier prices are the best.

I just posted the link so you can compare. There are companys like this in NJ also, and you need to look around. Most are so busy they dont advertise much and are content staying a small company 5-10 guys.

They actually advertise the price and are not trying to hide anything.I am not sure if they expanded to NJ, but you could call and find out.

I would definatly get your own tank period then just work with a cash delivery place. Just like heating oil people do.

Propane NJ, Propane PA, Discount Propane NJ, Discount Propane PA, Fuel Oil PA, Fuel Oil NJ, Discount Fuel Oil NJ, Discount Fuel Oil PA, Green Works Propane

Mike NJ

Old 10-23-11, 06:55 AM
tanks

I actually have 2 - 100 gallon (gallon not pound). They are actually called "420s". Don't laugh...these things will last me 1 1/2 to 2 years from full. As I said they were here when I got here. I actually may ask to purchase them outright (NO STRINGS ATTACHED) and go spot delivery. Also found out there is no certification decals anywhere so I have to look into. the link lawrosa provided is in my "homework" paperwork

Old 10-23-11, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
The certification for tanks here and possibly where you are is a date stamp on the tank with the testers identification.
They have to be re-certified at 12 years of age and every five years after that.

For portable tanks here they physically inspect the tanks and replace the valve at each inspection.

Old 10-24-11, 07:32 PM
Definitely sounds like another ploy by some greedy bean-counters--just milk the customer, our lifeblood, for an additional pick-up charge. Whoever thought of it probably received a healthy bonus!

If it were me, and had I never signed an agreement to pay for tank pick-up, I would politely call them and tell them to come and retrieve their property. And remind them that I have to charge them rent for using my property as their business storage site. Oh, and my rental rates are a bit steep, like several hundred dollars a day (and fractions thereof). And if they aren't very punctual in retrieving their property, I'd either put a for sale sign on their tank, or just say "Free For The Hauling".