Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

worried about an idea theft.... what to do immediately?

Old 12-11-12, 08:22 AM

I have been looking for someone to manufacture a proto type Idea and I found a manufacturer, now I think they may be stealing my idea, what can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-12, 08:29 AM
Have you signed any sort of contract with this company to protect your idea?

Old 12-11-12, 08:31 AM
No nothing yet, I just gave too much detail trying to describe what I needed

Old 12-11-12, 08:47 AM
No nothing yet, I just gave too much detail trying to describe what I needed
oh...

Did you give them the overall concept along with measurements and/or specs?

What I have seen done with sensitive IP stuff (talking large scale here), is farm out pieces to different companies, but not enough to one company for them to run with it.

Old 12-11-12, 08:47 AM
I would consult a patent lawyer in your area. Even if you are not going through with a patent, he should be able to advise you on intellectual property and copyright law.

Old 12-11-12, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I admit, I have only limited knowledge with this but as a boy I did get started with this same process on an idea, Mine was stolen also. My understanding is, unless you have legal documentation to say its yours... there isn't much you can do. Now, let me say that any legal recourse is better than none & every situation is different.

I will say that I was advised on later ideas to put any & all information on paper which should include as much detail to description as possible along with any drawings that you can do. Put it into a self addressed envelope, with your return address, take it to the post office & mail it to yourself by registered mail (I think). Once it arrives at your residence, DO NOT OPEN IT!!! Leave it sealed! By it being registered & post marked & UN-OPENED, you always have a record that you had this idea on that date. Later, if someone claims they had this idea at a later date, the court can open & reseal the envelope.

That's my understanding.

The long & short of it in GENERAL terms though is... until it's patented, its fair game. However, as stated above, there are ways to protect yourself & the idea.

Hope this helps... good luck.

Old 12-11-12, 03:02 PM
That idea of sending yourself a registered letter is at least fifty years old and it has NEVER been accepted as any kind of proof by the Patent Office or any court.

Old 12-11-12, 03:15 PM
There is a provisional patent that requires almost no effort and minimal cost. It holds a one year window open for you to follow through with your patent application. If you don't it expires. But while it is in place you have some level of ownership.

Bud

Old 12-11-12, 03:55 PM
If you ever go to anyone to disclose ANY information, have them sign (in blue ink) a "Non-disclosure" form and leave them with a copy (B&W). Good forms can be obtained from an attorney that may wish to represent you or a simplistic form for an "off the shelf/internet" source.

The signing of the form bt them acknowledges that you have begun on the easy route for a year without any major costs and gives you some protection, since the other person(s) admit you have talked to you about the idea. Not the most iron clad protection, but it keeps people honest and puts them on notice. It is great way to get opinions from opthers you know, but could pump up the price if you are just looking for a short term company for prototypes.

Dick