contractor damged door

Old 05-31-13, 08:13 AM
contractor damged door

Hello
While painters were working on my house, one of them hit the bottom of the entry door and it fell off with no way to replace it. It is a part of the door. They put caulk there then another man hit the shim by walking in. What do I do if the door which worked but needed paint is not operable or looks like second hand work which is not going to hold?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-13, 08:33 AM
Prior to any contractor coming onto your property to perform any work, you should always request a certificate of insurance. It is a standard process where the insurance company sends you a certificate detailing what insurance coverage the contractor has. If you did not get that information in advance, then you need to ask for it now. If he doesn't have insurance or if he wishes to avoid a claim, then he needs to fix the problems ASAP. I'm not sure how, but I would assume there is a way to check on what insurance coverage he has. Your insurance agent would certainly know.

Bud

Old 05-31-13, 08:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you really talking about the door itself or just the threshold?
Got a picture.
I just can not imagine how anyone could break off the bottom of the door itself unless it already had issues.

Old 05-31-13, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
I'm with joecaption1. Assuming they didn't drive their truck into the door no way they could have broke the bottom off. Do you mean they damaged the door jamb (the frame the door sets in)?

Old 05-31-13, 10:02 AM
steel cased door

While trying to scrape a couple of rust spots a man went vertically instead of horizontally therefore hitting the weather guard(part of the door) and it dislodged it. He should have gone sideways. He has applied Bondo to the door, sanded it like new and applied caulk to the strip that fell from the bottom. Then he shimmed under it to hold it tight. It seems to be quite sturdy. I have his insurance, his bond and 2 year warranty.
I wonder about the lasting integrity of the caulk but he feels certain all is as good as new and weather tight.
Apparently a door has 4 sides that enclose it. The bottom one of these was dislodged when the putty knife struck it.
If it makes 2 years I am ok with that.

Old 05-31-13, 12:20 PM
So you have a rusted out door that really should have been replaced not fixed and now you want him to buy you a new one. Hmm.

Old 05-31-13, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt it's rusted out....just dinged and dented with a few rusty spots. Bondo is a standard repair on a dented steel door.

The sweeps (which is what was knocked loose) normally either snap into a couple of grooves on the bottom or are stapled in place.

Without removing the door and replacing the sweep with new....caulking with an adhesive caulk and holding in place til cure would be an acceptable repair in my mind....esp for a painting company. Done correctly it should hold just fine.

If you trusted the guy enough to hire him to do the painting, hopefully he is trustworthy enough to stand behind his work.

If its doesn't come loose in a week, it will probably last for years.

Old 05-31-13, 12:35 PM
fixed replaced

I am not going to engage in senseless dialogue.
Not every thing that is older needs replacing and that is what keeps many handy men in business.
I have integrity and am not holding him to a new door.
He admitted the apprentice made a mistake.
Obviously I have come to the wrong place for courteous advice and conversation.
I have been a member of the do-it-yourself forum for many, many years and have always found the people who participate quite friendly and helpful.

Old 05-31-13, 12:42 PM
Thumbs up door repair

Hi again Gunguy45
It was good to get a courteous response to my message. Your explanation makes a lot of sense and as we speak, it seems you are correct.
I was not aware of the sweep.
The door is looking and functioning like brand new.
See you at the next catastrophe!
Peter

Old 05-31-13, 05:00 PM
Peterr, all through these posts the respondents have been asking for pictures or clarifications on exactly what was damaged. We never got that. Here's what we got...

one of them hit the bottom of the entry door and it fell off with no way to replace it.
Read it again, and see what you would think if I wrote it. We're not here to criticize you or anyone else. We just need good information and Pictures to help us out. You've been here too long not to know that. Good luck with the door, as it sounds as if the contractor is an upstanding guy.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-31-13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-01-13, 05:29 AM
explanation

Hi Chandler
If you read my past posts you will know I am a pretty civil person.
I think the following disturbed me.

"So you have a rusted out door that really should have been replaced not fixed and now you want him to buy you a new one. Hmm."

GunGuy's reply seemed to indicate I was clear enough for a response for which I thanked him.
I apologize for not sending in a picture.