house repair

Old 09-28-13, 02:57 PM
house repair

Hello
I have a 2 year warranty on the paint job done 2 months ago. At the time the foreman said a section of siding would be ok siliconed(touched up) instead of replaced. Our contract says all rotted and damaged wood would be replaced and all painted.
The chimney(wooden ) exterior. is bleeding rust and that front section has become worse. I have called but they say I don't need to be home and they will come by some time.
I read that small claims precludes services rendered.
BBB is in my opinion impotent.
Maybe mediation in MD would work but I don't know how to begin it.
I was thinking of composing a fax or letter and seeing if they would respond, knowing there is something in writing.
I don't know what to do if they play dead.
I would appreciate any solid advice.
Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-13, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would make a daily call to the boss to see when they plan on coming out to do the job. Don't put the cart before the horse. Give them time to perform their work. Hopefully they are just too busy with other jobs to make the return visit and have to schedule it in. Putting your request in writing and faxing/mailing it to them is an excellent idea. It goes further than word of mouth when it does come to an arbitrated decision.

Old 09-29-13, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the painter also do carpentry work? Can you further explain the rust? What was siliconed? normally paint doesn't adhere well to silicone pics might be helpful.

Assuming you used a reputable contractor, it shouldn't be a big deal getting them to come back although you'd need to expect to work with their scheduling. The biggest thing would be getting the work done before the weather gets too cold. How long ago did you first contact them about this issue?

Old 09-29-13, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The first warning flag before the job began should have been the rusting flashing that should have been replaced.

Old 09-29-13, 06:11 AM
paint job and repair

I specially thank you for the confirmation to get this in writing for future use.

I wish I had some recourse if they don't respond at all.

An atty. would exceed the cost of repairs so I am stuck for ideas if it comes to that.

I will wait and see..

Old 10-04-13, 05:44 AM
house repair

Although I have a 2 year warranty which spells out "repair rotted wood and paint chimney" I have called and sent a fax to put on record.
He sent one person by with regular paint to do the metal on the chimney but when I asked about the 3 things to be done he left saying he would be back tomorrow. He never showed up.
We have been very polite but the work is not getting done.I noticed in small claims you cannot file for services.

Peter

Old 10-05-13, 01:13 PM
How about going to a legal clinic one that works on a sliding scale especially if the work takes a long time to complete. The bar association in Montgomery county has a legal clinic that might be able to help you. I would wait though a reasonable time and give them a call as sometimes you have to be persistent with a contractor before they send someone out. I have a contractor I have been dealing with for years and he drags his feet coming here because my jobs are small compared to his larger jobs. I looked in Google for a legal clinic and that is how I found out about this clinic.

Old 10-05-13, 02:50 PM
legal clinic

Hello
I was at wits end yet waited and called often. Finally the boss called yesterday and I asked if the specific work would be done and when. He said by mid week his brother would be touch and would get the specified work done.

All the little guys have to help each other.

Thank you so much. Although I may not need one this time I am going to Google as you did and be prepared for this time if necessary and for next time.
Thank you once again.
Peter

Old 10-06-13, 04:58 PM
I am glad they contacted you and I hope they do as they promise. I had thought about the clinic as we know an attorney who has in the past anyway worked at a legal clinic at the University Of Maryland. We have used her in the past but at her fathers practice when he was alive. Now she works for the county prosecutors office in the civil suit branch. Have a nice night Peter!

Old 10-07-13, 06:00 AM
clinic

Your help is appreciated.