Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Home ownership between non married couple - I want out

Old 11-20-13, 06:54 AM

In Connecticut.
Me and my Girlfriend bought a house near 3 years ago now. We wrote up a "contract" with the lawyer who took care of our closing in case we broke up that we would either have to buy the other out or sell the house. The house had to be in her name then, Im on the deed though.
The contract filled in the money each of us put in and a few other details. I have for some time now wanted to leave. She makes it very difficult as she does not want to break up. She threatens to try and fight me for any money she would have to pay and says she would not sell the house.
Im at my wits end in how I should handle this. I can not walk from the money because I would like to put it into other investments I had planned.
Will this be something I will have to pay a lawyer for now, can this be settled in a smaller court. Do I have to worry about our written and notorized contract expiring?
thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-13, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
I wish you had asked about this three years ago, I would have advised not to buy the house with her in the first place.

Yes, you might want to take a copy of the contract to a consultation with an attorney.

Old 11-21-13, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you and her can't agree on how to settle it - I doubt there is much you can do without hiring an attorney.

Old 11-21-13, 06:38 AM
think I could sue her for legal costs then as well?

Old 11-21-13, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Pretty much nothing you can't sue someone for; whether you can prevail or not is another matter. Just curious, but how much value are we talking about in you part of the house?

Old 11-21-13, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect the terms of your contract with her will state whether or not you have a case for getting the legal fees reimbursed - after reviewing your contract, a lawyer should be able to let you know.

Old 11-21-13, 11:52 PM
I have to agree with everyone else a bad idea to buy together like that even if you think at the time everything will work great. Unfortunately it doesn't always and that is when you need a really good lawyer to represent you. I suggest a divorce lawyer too even though you technically are not married but your girlfriend may want palimony which is legal to sue for in some states. So unfortunately it isn't always about the property in these types of cases. If you get into another situation like this in the future I suggest you rent until you are married.

Old 11-22-13, 05:00 AM
She cant sue for palimony, if anything I could.
I never think anything will work out, Im the one who forced the contract to be made up.
It merely states if either of us want to leave for any reason the house has to be bought out or sold.
I just think she will make it difficult.
I wasnt sure if there was a laywer free way to go to like civil court and take care of it.

Old 11-22-13, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
I think most lawyers charge $100 for a consultation. Would be worth it just to see what they say, then you'll know what path you need to take.
As for the free route in court, anyone can represent themselves. Whether that's smart or not, the option is there.

Old 12-09-13, 11:22 PM
You make her sound like a spiteful person. If she really is, she can tie it all up. Sure you can try to settle it without a lawyer on your side but if she has one the odds are well against you. Nothing is stopping her from getting legal advice and playing "fair."

From the sounds of it, I'm no lawyer, but If it were me, I would evaluate the possible legal fees of fighting this thing vs how much money you got tied up.

Old 12-10-13, 12:41 AM
What little I know about this kind of situation, and given that the deed is in her name (it sounds like), tells me that you will not be able to force her to sell. Of course, if your contract says otherwise, then it could prevail in forcing a sale. The contract terms would normally prevail in any dispute. But, I urge you to google your subject for this post. I did and found this: Home Ownership and Unmarried Couples | Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division. It has some possibly useful information. Good luck.

Another way to look at this is to consider that had you not bought the house, and just rented, then the money paid would be gone. And, given her resistance to selling, you might be better off emotionally to just let this one go. Trust me, legal battles are a vexation to the soul!