automobile purchase

Old 03-15-14, 09:36 AM
automobile purchase

Hello
Without boring you with cumbersome details, my non English speaking neighbor feels he was taken advantage of. He turned his car in and was told he would get a certain one. The next day he got a lesser car for more money.
My question is who do we see about looking into this as he is on a very low income with 6 children.
Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-14, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well...Peter...I think we would need more details. In some states, you have a time limit to nullify a transaction like this. He can return the car and get his back....maybe.

Why would he have taken the new car if it wasn't what he had a deal for?

If there was a language problem...he should have taken someone with him to translate.

Old 03-15-14, 10:29 AM
redress

Thank you for replying.
I wanted to see if he had any options so I have filled out a form to the BBB and they are supposed to email him.
It is quite involved as he speaks Tagalog and it sounds like the old bait and switch.
let's hope they, BBB can at least suggest a direction to take. Have a good one.
Peter

Old 03-15-14, 08:52 PM
Peterr my friend I remember that you live in Montgomery county. What you really need is the Montgomery County office of consumer protection. Here is a link to their website Office of Consumer Protection where your friend can file a complaint with your help. If necessary they have the power to prosecute. I wish your friend good luck.

Old 03-16-14, 05:35 AM
appreciate

Hi hedgeclippers
I certainly appreciate your referral. You have an excellent memory.
I will get on that immediately so no statutes run out. Thanks a lot
Peter

Old 03-16-14, 12:20 PM
You are welcome Peterr we have friends out where you live which is why I remembered as well as I did. I also remembered many years ago the office of consumer protection being given teeth so to speak there. I don't think the same holds true in PG county but I am not sure.

Old 03-16-14, 02:57 PM
agancy

Without your referral we would probably be stuck. Thank you again.
I already filled out his forms to submit to both places and have fingers crossed. Most people are nice but it is like the barrel of apples.
Peter

Old 05-09-14, 05:59 AM
It may be too late to cancel the deal using normal methods now. But you should still try. It may be desirable to get Social Services in on the situation.

More and more these days it seems as if you need an attorney to negotiate a car purchase and financing.

(Generally you need an attorney who knows real estate when buying a home and arranging financing.)

Old 05-09-14, 07:18 AM
Hello
I think the Office of Consumer Protection is a helpful association but in this case we got the most acerbic person one could ever encounter.
She swallowed the agency's argument over my friend's and we were not successful. She was disregarding the language difficulty and bait and switch tactic. She said he had his family with him and knew exactly what he was doing. Not the case.
It is really something we wish to put in the past.
I would go there again but would call back for another rep if necessary.
Thank you or the advice for future reference.

Old 05-09-14, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
I think going to the media would have been helpful. All TV news channels have a help the consumer segment. They seem to be the only ones that get results.
If it isn't too late, may be worth a try.

Old 05-09-14, 11:50 AM
media

I never even thought of the media. Thank you.

Old 05-09-14, 01:47 PM
I would certainly try all of the media but maybe try WJLA first and see what they say and then if not satisfied there then try other media. I think most of the time they have a form you fill out online and then they give you a call if they are interested at least that is what I have heard anyway. If the story is too old though they might not be interested it just depends. There are certain notorious auto dealers that the press like to rattle their cage so to speak no matter how old the case. Not naming names but one isn't too far from my home.

Old 05-10-14, 05:53 AM
complaints

I did go to the WJLA and they have 2 places to contact them. One is, 'On your side', and the other is, The Iteam'. I have see the Iteam before and they are investigator types. I would send a copy to each if I were to file a story of interest.

Old 05-10-14, 07:19 PM
I think WJLA had a story about a bad auto dealer not long ago but will not name the dealership in open forum because of the rules and because it was alleged and not completely proven. In that case though I believe they were able to help a woman with her complaint. I like WTTG too they don't have as big a team but are sharks when they get on a consumer story. It is a bit late in the game as they say but you never know sometimes they keep at it and even get better attention from the authorities. Anyway sorry it hasn't went well for your friend so far.