Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

I am being sued by a credit card company

Old 05-17-14, 03:05 PM

My wife and I have our social security money deposited in one account. My wife deposited by mistake a insurance check by State Farm into that account last week. Most of the money from the insurance check is gone to pay for hail damage. If I loose the judgment can they take that money. Should I get it out of there before my court date on May 19

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 06:23 PM
I am not a lawyer but as a landlord have had some experience with judgements in lawsuits. Without going into details we were able to garnish wages from our former tenant. So I would say that if the credit card company prevails they would be able to not only take that money from the check but anything else to satisfy the judgement. This is based only on what I have seen myself from our own lawsuit. I suggest if you have a brother or sister or other relative that you give them that money and then ask them for money as you need it.

Since today is the 17th then you will have to do that electronically and I would certainly do that today if at all possible. I also suggest you seek legal counsel if you haven't already and if you can't get a lawyer before the 19th then I suggest you request a continuance and explain to the judge that you want legal counsel. Most of the time the judge will even encourage you to get a lawyer if you go into court without a lawyer. The judge encouraged our former tenant to get a lawyer when he came in without one.