Lost Phone

Old 09-17-14, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lost Phone

My son's school confiscated his iPhone, said they would lock it up until we picked it up.
They lost it.
Now they're saying that in the "Rules" (whatever it's called), it states they are not responsible for losing it.
I would think they would be responsible, regardless of this disclaimer.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-14, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, if he took it to school against the rules, I doubt you'll get any compensation. Maybe if you went to a Board meeting and fought it?

Don't iPhones have a find my phone tracking feature?

Old 09-17-14, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He didn't take it against rules, but he used it against rules. So he's at fault. But if they say they will secure it, I think they should.
I tracked it to an apartment building, but that's not much help. I think he's sol.
Kid's love their phones and I guess they need to love it enough to hold onto it. Maybe he learned a lesson because I'm not in a hurry to replace it, he'll have to come up with some cash.

If I give you the address gunguy, maybe you could do a quick sweep???

Old 09-17-14, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
I'm not driving to SanDog to help you look for a phone...lol.

I'll lay odds whoever took it just put it in a desk or something and someone else just lifted it. Even if it was turned into the office, who knows, not all adults are trustworthy, let alone student helpers.

Old 09-17-14, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
This phone sounds stolen, not lost.

Old 09-17-14, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately he brought the wrong apple to school that day.

Old 09-17-14, 08:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep,
It's stolen while in their custody. I'm not going to push the issue with school.
Wrong apple is correct!
Maybe next one he'll respect more and safeguard it.

Old 09-17-14, 09:20 AM
If the schools policy is to confiscate the phone, then return it after a period of time, then they assume the responsibility for it while in their custody.

Old 09-17-14, 09:59 AM
I agree with guy48065 I think it is the schools responsibility but also your sons responsibility too. If the phone wasn't insured then if he wants to be compensated for the loss I would encourage him to take it to small claims court and see what a judge says. The judge might side with the school system but it is worth a try and your son will learn another lesson. I also would encourage him to contact the carrier and have the phone reported as stolen as somebody either you or your son is still responsible for the bill. The phone company might want a police report too.

Old 09-17-14, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
It's not the phone loss per se but that the school failed to properly secure it and or the school has a thief on the grounds. Both are things that need to be brought to the attention of the school board or if their response inadequate local media.

Old 09-18-14, 05:22 AM
I agree with Ray, Hedge and guy45065. Bring it to small claims court. The school took responsibility of it regardless of how or why. They become custodial of property. No different than when you give a large bag to cashier when going into a store for to keep behind counter. Or having to give up a firearm when entering certain establishments.

Go to the principal and tell him of your intentions first. If he blows you off then call superintend then school board and then follow through with small claims court. Most likely they will replace the phone rather than go through the hassle.

Your kid was wrong but that does not excuse the school from acting responsible. Rules are for everyone to follow and if you can't then you pay the price. You son paid the price by loosing his phone, the school should pay the price by being responsible for taking it and loosing it

Old 09-18-14, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife is a teacher, in all "faculty" areas there are surveillance cameras. My wife had her purse stolen, within hours, they had the student in custody. Probably is tape around of who the perp is.

Old 09-18-14, 06:10 PM
Your wife's school is very fortunate. My wife's and daughter's (both teachers) school do not have any surveillance of any sort. Couple that with class sizes of between 30 and 40 kids (parochial schools) and the teacher having to be responsible for all activities and teach at the same time is quite an undertaking.

But I stray off topic. The confiscated phone should've been locked up immediately. The school is responsible.

Search this Thread