Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page > Lifetime guarantee...what does it imply or mean in New York St

Lifetime guarantee...what does it imply or mean in New York St

Old 04-19-15, 06:18 AM
Lifetime guarantee...what does it imply or mean in New York St

Can somebody show me a definitive law or written something indicating what New York's take is on lifetime warranties? I'm looking at warranties on durable goods as opposed to insurance or services. I'm sure this has been asked before. Rumor has it that NYS says 7 years. If a manufacture wants to extend that it's OK but not less than 7 years. But I've also heard that is just bunk, there is no such term on the state books.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-15, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't know about NY but I always thought lifetime guarantee meant for as long as the original purchaser owned the item. I have run into times where the warranting company went out of business which negates the warranty

Old 04-19-15, 06:27 AM
Often lifetime warranty will be label as lifetime of the product which can be from 5 to 7 years.

Old 04-19-15, 07:01 AM
Here's a good link on expressed and implied warranties and this is a statement near the bottom of that article.
"Lifetime warranty doesn’t necessarily mean your lifetime, but can refer to how long a company carries a product or how long it’s available from the manufacturer. Check the fine print and whether your state law defines lifetime warranty." Link below.

I still haven't found a specific reference to NY warranty laws, but I did get a laugh from this article and it does provide some good guidance. Second link.

Warranty Protection | Warranties | Know Your Rights - Consumer Reports

"Lifetime" warranties usually expire sooner than you think - The Denver Post

Bud

Old 04-19-15, 07:29 AM
Bud,

Thank you for the reference. In fact I brought up the subject because the wife and I finally pulled the trigger and bought new windows for our house. Among the many "advantages" was the fact that the salesman had a printed brochure that actually stated that New York State claims lifetime warranty is only 7 years. "Don't be fooled by other window manufactures about lifetime warranty".
I didn't believe it then and I don't quite believe it now. But the sales person truly did believe his broucher.

Also a recent incident at the store brought up the same question. A customer bought a Peerless faucet with a limited lifetime warranty. Unlike Moen or Delta I told the customer that it did not mean total lifetime. My manager immediate came up and told the customer in fact that as long as he owned the Peerless faucet it was guaranteed. And if the manufactured would not honor it then the store would. I just shut up and said to myself "It's not my store."

Things like this mean a lot to me. I came from an industrial background as a Buyer, Purcahsing Manager, Psuedo Engineer and many other industrial disciplines. Warranties, guarantees and other implied "features" had to be put in writing or there would be no contract. Apparently the retail end of things are very different. It's "Buyer beware" world.

Old 04-19-15, 08:05 AM
I have exceeded a thousand dollars in warranty claims, I would say thousands but have lost track. Fortunately, I live in perhaps the most consumer friendly state, Maine, where consumer rights are strongly enforced. The irony is, most people (put that at 99%) here in Maine are totally unaware of how powerfully the state laws enforce our warranty rights, from consumer products to renting apartments.

That's where I thought that first link was interesting as it does a good job of explaining what consumers need to do to protect their rights. Beyond that it helps to live in the right state.

One of those articles lists a "good will" option. If anyone has a legitimate argument for why a particular product should not have failed, regardless of time, presenting that argument to the proper person can often result in a favorable outcome. The reasoning is often, if a product is getting a lot of complaints the mfg and/or selling company will have developed their talking points to avoid replacing all of those products. But where it is a quality product and the company of mfg are reputable businesses and want to remain so, they will find it inexpensive positive advertising to make you happy.

I'm like you and things like this mean a lot to me as well. But try as I have, I have only been able to attract the attention of a few Mainer's to pay attention to the warranty claims and follow up when something dies. Just pondering that thousand dollar question, and I would easily guess $5,000 in savings over 15 years. It does pay to pay attention.

Bud

Old 04-19-15, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Any "lifetime" warranties I see in the fine print refer to the term "limited lifetime" .
What exactly is covered always needs a magnifying glass to sort out.

Old 04-19-15, 09:05 AM
I used to feel sorry for my father and FIL who spent their final years living with us when they sat reading with a large magnifying glass. I now own both of those large glass tools and use them both and all of that fine print makes me wild. Oh my!

Bud

Search this Thread