Smart phone issue.

Old 06-12-15, 07:19 AM
Smart phone issue.

Hello
I am writing here as my situation could have legal ramifications. telling it as it is to some companies an be dangerous as they are out to make $$.
I bought a Galaxy S5 from Target in Aug of 14. The pc was down and it was a 4 hour wait. I thought I did my home work but....

I could not get the insurance with Verizon due to the pc issue but could have within 14 days. I got Worth Ave Group but noticed it only covered theft. The person on the phone sad everyone just says it was stolen if there was as issue.

In Dec 14 we had a fire and an EMT stole my phone -he would not admit and I should have told someone to call my number but it skipped my mind.
2 weeks later I got a call from the fire dept. that my phone was waiting for me. In the meanwhile, I was speaking with my condo insurance company who was handling my fire claim and mentioned the phone. She said not to worry and sent my a check for the cost to replace the phone. Although only paid 199 at Target with a 2 year contract. I told her the truth and she still sent 600.
I bought a n exact phone and Verizon activated it but instead of going back to Aug she made it as of Dec. the new purchase date.
I called my condo insurance company and no one returned my call. I left 2 messages with the agent handling the fire and phone, that my phone that was stolen had been returned.
I now have two phones. One is activated which I am using and the other is sitting on my bureau. Verizon said if I activate the other it will cost 30 for my to use and share data with me.
Importantly, around June or July my insurance company is going have determined who is liable for the fire(it is leisure World) as hey hired the electrician to fix my thermostat. Then I should be refunded my deductible which is 500. That is not a guarantee as they have to subrogate and prove likably.
I have valuable phone locked and deactivated sitting doing nothing. I do not know what will come from the decision the insurance company is going to make if at all. Sometimes you call and are sorry you did and others , not so true.
I could keep the spare in case mine broke. I could also use the battery.
I could call the insurance company about the deductible and not know what to say about the phone. If they want to trade off the deductible for the phone it would hurt me as the phone is no good to me as it is unless activated.
Sorry to ramble but it was a lengthy development.
Any ideas more brief than my explanation?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-15, 07:58 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I would hold is as a backup especially since part of the case is pending.

Old 06-12-15, 08:22 AM
I will in that makes sense thank you

Old 06-12-15, 11:57 PM
I agree keep the phone and just hold onto it but continue to do nothing. The best thing to do is just be honest about what happened and explain as you did here that you thought your phone was stolen but eventually it was given back to you. So you really can't say for sure if it was stolen or not but can say it was missing for a period of time. I can't say for sure but your adjuster may want your old phone and if so give it to them. If not then keep the deactivated phone as usually you can still make 911 calls in an emergency but not always, you would have to test it.

Old 06-13-15, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Peterr, I agree with the others in keeping it for a spare. It won't deteriorate. Just pull the battery out of it so it won't age and corrode in time. Usually when I upgrade phones after the end of a 2 year contract, I keep the former phone in a drawer in case I destroy or lose my new phone. Running over a phone with a 1 ton truck is not for a happy day. Another thing I do is use my Gmail account and list all my contacts there. When I change phones, all I do is wait for Gmail to update, and all my contacts and emails are transferred to the new phone. As you add or delete contacts, Gmail will automatically update itself, too.

Old 06-13-15, 05:13 AM
spare

I agree with you all.
Because the case regarding my house fire deductible is not settled I will just use the extra phone to practice with. I can do everything except call and text as I have a secure network. I use my house secure network to update and email etc. It is better than wearing out my phone.
I have done everything ethically so will continue to do so. I made a goof with insurance. There was a pc problem at Target and I did not get the Verizon insurance within the 2 weeks. I got Worth Ave group and it only covers theft. It is only $60 a year. Can you believe when I called to join and I was surprised loss was not covered she said everybody just says it was stolen if anything happens so loss etc. is covered that way. And she works there!!
Anyway, you have firmed up my thoughts and I will let you know if any thing develops.
At my age I will not be getting another phone and I think I have to wait a year anyway. They pushed me up from the theft in Aug. to the new in December. I d not quite agree with that. Verizon has the best coverage but they are a power you do not want to cross.
Thanks guys. My grandchildren will have a couple of galaxies to play with.
PS Having batteries you can replace is great as I can rotate them.

Old 06-13-15, 06:16 AM
Temporarily Suspended
As far as cell plans go, Verizon charges more than the rest. Consider a new provider when your contract ends.

Old 06-13-15, 08:11 AM
I will.
When the deal was advertised, it was 2 GB data and free calls and texts.
I had to sign for 2 years and I think I could upgrade after one year.
I got a 599 phone for 199 with a 64 GB card.
I thought it was good at the time but just before the two years is up I will look into options with all companies.
Verizon covers the best but I do not like the company - that is another story.

Search this Thread