returning extra unordered items

Old 12-21-15, 08:13 AM
returning extra unordered items

Nine days ago I made an internet purchase for one $105 item. Received the package yesterday. Packing slip said one item shipped, my VISA was charged $105. The package, however, contained three of these $105 items. If I notify the vender I would ask for a postage paid return label. How would I prove that I did return the two extra items if, somehow, the vender realizes his mistake and bills me for the extra two items?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-15, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
Require the return shipment to be UPS signature required not USPS.

Old 12-21-15, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Good advice. The signature would just prove the vender received "a package" from me. Is there a fairly easy way to have the vender sign that he received two of this specific item?

I'm beginning to not want to return them at all, unless it its 1. easy to do, 2. not too time consuming and 3. I end up with proof that the vender received two of this specific item.

Old 12-21-15, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Tell the vendor to send you a UPS call tag. They'll pickup from the house and give you a receipt.

Is there a fairly easy way to have the vendor sign that he received two of this specific item?
Not that I know of.

Old 12-21-15, 08:46 AM
You have the packing slip that says you were shipped one. I would have to assume that the onus would be on the vendor to prove you were shipped three in order for them to charge you for the extra two.

I've heard of many instances where credit card companies have back charged vendors when customers were charged for items they never in fact received. Not exactly the same situation, but certainly similar.

I'd be awfully surprised if the vendor got the items returned and then turned around and charged you for them. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd be pretty surprising.

Old 12-21-15, 08:47 AM
I second Pete's suggestion. Minimal work on your part. I think it very unlikely they would get two back and try to claim you only sent one. It's their mistake and you are being honest in notifying them when in fact, they don't have any proof they sent you three in the first place.

I suppose, depending on the item, the weight of the package would provide some indication of the quantity.

You may very well find out they just tell you to keep them; I've had it happen, albeit not on a $100 item.

Old 12-21-15, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
A bit extreme but send them back separately. Then you have a receipt for each.... oh wait they could claim there was nothing but a few bricks for weight in the box. At some point you just have to trust and cross your fingers.

Old 12-21-15, 11:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
if, somehow, the vender realizes his mistake and bills me for the extra two items?
I doubt if the vendor will ever know where the 2 pieces ended up. Once an item is picked and shipped, the vendor usually only has the picking ticket which shows one item was picked and shipped.
This is why inventories are performed occasionally, human error.

Expect them to arrange for pick up and you'll probably get a thanks.

Old 12-21-15, 12:55 PM
I have to agree with everyone else many times the vendor of the item you bought will send you a return label and thank you very much for your honesty. I doubt very seriously that they will try to charge you for the items either. I have had wrong things sent from vendors and they either say please don't worry about returning the item or they say we will send you a label either via e-mail or in the mail. They have never charged me for those items though. If they ever did and you paid by credit card then you can have your credit card company handle it.