Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Shaking or vibrating house, feeling sick

Old 04-08-16, 05:58 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure exactly where this would belong, but hopefully it fits here.
As I don't live in the United States, I'm not seeking for US legal advice, but more just general information on how a situation like this should be handled.

In the current 3 storey building that I live in now, there's never been an issue before with shakiness or vibrations in the ground and my unit, even when there was some construction (road, underground piping, etc.), there was no issue with shaking.

But starting about a month ago, shakiness and vibration has gotten worse and worse. I live in a small town but there is a healthy amount of buses and trucks that pass by. The building is next to the road, yes, but as I said, that was never an issue before. It's always been still and peaceful.

There are 2 kinds of shakiness/vibrations that I'm experiencing now.
1) ones caused by direct impact, like when a ridge in the road has formed and become uneven, and large vehicles that run over it make a pair of thudding noise (front wheels then rear wheels) followed by shaky/vibration in the building.

2) this is the one that is actually worse, it's a constant vibration and shakiness. There is no loud or sudden impact feeling or sound. It's just this very subtle yet constant rumbling feeling in my body, my chair, the ground, etc. It makes me feel nauseous and my ears almost feel like popping like when you are on a plane. But I feel more like motion sickness, or sea sickness when the ground you stand on is not still and moving in every which way. It seems to mess up my equilibrium and I always feel like im on a boat and the ground beneath me is not still.

This goes on nearly all day long and in the night, too, but less. It's not like a once an hour event. It's constant, almost as if there's a line up of traffic outside but when I go and check, there isn't.

My question is, how do I go about handling this situation to get the right people 's attention? I've already spoken to the local city hall and they took my complaint, and actually had a small piece of the road that I mentioned patched up with new pavement, but that hardly made any difference at all. I was hoping more that they would come in and re-pave the entire stretch of road (about 50 meters) where it's all uneven, cracked, and has dips and mounds that formed which is what I suspect is causing the sudden shakiness and vibrations.

Is there some kind of building standard or building code that pertains to allowable levels of ground/building shakiness? Or has such a thing not been implemented yet? They have things like acceptable and unacceptable levels of certain particles in the air (ppm), or things in the water, or even decibel levels, but I was wondering if there was anything in regards to a legal or acceptable amount of building shakiness/vibration and what might be considered too much that requires repairs?

Is there some sort of device that building inspectors carry around and can use to measure the amount of shakiness in the ground or building? It would help to have an actual recording to prove and show to city council or whoever is in charge, the evidence of maybe shakiness levels and how dangerous it is.

It's not even what my mind knows or doesn't. It's what my body is telling me. It's not like I sit around and try to feel it. I'm just sitting at computer, and suddenly I can feel something unusual in my body. It feels like I'm shaking sometimes internally, and even when it's quiet and nothing is shaking outside, I still feel like I'm shaking so I start to get confused. It's also a feeling of dizziness, nausea, ears feeling like they should pop, and sea sickness/motion sickness (which makes sense because a shaking home would be akin to like a boat on the seas and your equilibrium is thrown off because nothing is concrete and set). That's how it feels.

Now they are doing some construction in the town and the project they say will be completed in June, but the construction is not even near me. They are doing the entire road from one end of the town to the other but they are not at my area yet. Construction itself, is not the problem or what's causing the shakiness, but the roads have become really cracked and uneven, and they have manholes that just sprouted up everywhere now (which doesn't help with the uneven ground). There's even 4 or 5 manholes literally all next to each other which I can't understand why there would be 4 manholes so close to each other..wouldn't 1 suffice to access underground? Why would they put so many manholes all next to each other on the road where cars drive?

In any case, any tips or advice about how to go about getting more information to find help would be great. I know that by the time they complete the project in June, they'll re-pave the roads and I'm sure it'll be better by then, but I don't think asking us to live through 24 hours a day of shakiness until June is right. I just wanted them to re-pave the road which I'm sure doesn't even take that long. I've seen it down many times and they do it relatively quick.

Member located in South Korea.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-01-16 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added OP's location
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-16, 06:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Have you asked some neighbors if they feel any shaking? That would be the first thing that I would do.

Old 04-08-16, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
The first condition you described seems to be explainable, the second not so much. What is your thought on its cause?

In all honesty, I think there's a decent likelihood there is something wrong with you and my next stop would be the doctor's office to seek an explanation there.

Pulpo's suggestion is a good one as well.

Old 04-08-16, 06:26 PM
If your in a three story building have you talked to the other renters to see if there also having issues?
All your location shows is Canada which could be any place in 3.855 million miles, any mining or gas well refracting going on in your area?
Been to the local media and expressed your concerns?

Old 04-08-16, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Since you feel it so strongly in your unit..... when you ask your neighbors if they notice anything.... see if you feel the same issue in their unit.

Old 04-08-16, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Ever been any sink holes in your area?

Has there been any major remodeling of your building?

Old 04-08-16, 09:15 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies. I will try my best to answer best the questions asked me and with good detail.

Yes, I'm a Canadian citizen but I have been working overseas now for five years.

There is actually only 2 other tenants in our building. It's a 3 storeys but the 1st floor is a business (the landlords retail store), the 2nd floor is the landlord's place (his family), and the 3rd floor has only 3 units. I rent out 2 of them and an old lady rents out the 3rd unit.

When I mentioned the shakiness and vibration, the landlord told me already knows about it because he feels it too and has been stressed about it. Not sure if he really means it or if he was just saying that to me to make me feel a little better (because misery loves company). But we had this kind of issue about 2 years ago. It was due to bad road and it got re-paved in about 2-3 weeks and everything was fine again.

Now that it's happening again, I'm 100% sure it's the road and not anything else. There's no subway here, no trains nearby, no factories, it's just what it has always been since I lived here, some retail stores, small businesses, and a couple houses, a bus terminal (but that's never been an issue, was no shaking before).

As far as my symptoms, I don't believe the body lies. I'm not trying to think about it, sometimes I'm just enjoying a good hockey game, or a movie and my mind is completely on it, but when the body starts to shake, quiver, and my ears start to pop (not actually but feels like pressure is building up as if when in a plane), and I started getting nauseous (like motion sickness or sea sickness), I know that means it's because something really is doing this to my body, and it's not internal. Of course, after sitting through hours and hours of shaking and vibration all day, it can play with your mind and I may feel internal shaking while sitting still for a few moments after the REAL shakiness has stopped. But I know that's not it. When the real shakiness and vibrations stop, my body reacts quickly to it, and I feel a sudden sense of ease, serenity and peace as if everything shuts down....relaxes....but when the shakiness starts again, the dizziness and nauseous feeling returns right away.

I tried a little experiment by placing a glass of water on my desk. I look at it very closely where I can see a ring of light reflecting from the water. That ring of light is constantly blurry and fuzzy....well sometimes it stops and sometimes it's very noticeable the shake, but most of the time, it's just fuzzy a lot when I feel the shakiness. That confirms to me that I'm not crazy and just imagining it. It's like my totem (from Inception). I know that what I'm feeling is real and not imagined or some health/physical ailment. When I feel there is no vibrations at all, the water is still as can be, too.

I, did talk to the local city hall a few days ago and mentioned with pictures that I took the area of the road I thought might be the troublemaker. They listened and took me seriously with care and attention. He told me he would pass this info along to a crew to fix it. Lo and behold this morning when I checked, there was a fresh new smack of pavement over that patch of bad road....but the bad news is the constant shakiness is still ongoing. There are 3 or 4 more patches like the one they fixed that I mentioned, but they didn't touch those. I will try to go back there and ask a second time if they can actually re-pave the entire piece of road (it's about 50 to 70 meters long).

I hope they can do that. I wish I could have more evidence than just my word of mouth. Is there some kind of law or policy that generally exists in first world nations where public roads that are damaged or causing issues for nearby inhabitants, must be fixed by law? I figure, we the people are the ones paying for it right? So aren't they supposed fix it if there's enough warranted reasons?

The very last resort is for me to simply move. I just signed a new 1 year contract last month and put down 6 months advance payment, so I'll have to have all that reversed (which shouldn't be too serious because I've lived here for a few years, I know the owners, and they'll know it was not by choice I changed my mind and wanted to leave but because something I can't control that has affected the building's livability.

Any other ideas?

How about the building inspection/code that I mentioned? Is there some kind o device or equipment that can measure building shake and be used as hard evidence to back my claims? Does some law exist where certain levels of building shake is permitted or permissable or when too much shake is too much?

Old 04-08-16, 09:22 PM
no sink holes that i know of.
The building I live in did have a facelift (added wall/panels to the exterior of the building) but nothing internally. It's never had these vibrations in the past couple years I've lived here.

Old 04-08-16, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
This goes on nearly all day long and in the night, too, but less. It's not like a once an hour event. It's constant, almost as if there's a line up of traffic outside but when I go and check, there isn't.
I don't see how repairing the road is going to help. If the building vibrates that bad it must be on a fault or have a faulty foundation.

Old 04-08-16, 10:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
As I said, ask the neighbors. Besides that look in the boiler room for cracks & leaks. As mentioned before, is there any phracking or mining there?

Old 04-08-16, 11:02 PM
it was fine for the past 2.5 years. The only time it vibrated like this was when there was road that needed to be fixed and it was fine after that.

no fault lines or cracks anywhere i could see in the building. Yes, others also said they feel the shaking but not sure how inclined they are to actually do anything about it. There is one thing i remember that the landlord did around the time I think i started to feel the road vibrations but don't believe it could be the culprit. Beside our building he attached a tiny garage, it's just a frame for a garage that has automated door open and close, but really don't think something like that could make the building vulnerable to road vibrations travelling all the way up, but u got me thinking here.

Is it possible that if really heavy trucks (construction trucks carrying a lot of cement and stuff) going over these roads could damage the integrity of the road or somehow press down the pavement and cause it to be less solid than before? There's a lot of construction far away with new 2,3,4 storey buildings but those are really far away. It's just the really heavy trucks seem to be going over these roads a lot more lately and it looks like the road has been "crushed"....there are lots of cracks on the road that seem to outline a rectangular box in the middle of the road.

Old 04-08-16, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... heavy trucks and traffic can cause the building to vibrate but if there is no traffic and you still feel it..... that's not what's causing the problem.

Old 04-08-16, 11:33 PM
Group Moderator
If it was a third world country I would suspect lack of building codes and palm grease. But I wouldn't expect that in South Korea so that cancels one theory I had and I doubt it is North Koreans digging a tunnel unless your close to the DMZ. So I'm out of ideas.

Old 04-08-16, 11:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
One of the few good government agencies in this country is the US Geological Services. The Canadian counterpart is:

A Guide to Canadian Topographical Maps - Andrew Skurka

We also have an Environmental Protection Agency & a more local agency called the Dept of Environmental Conservation. Try to find similar agencies. I had really good luck with the USGS. I contacted them on a Friday & had an answer by Monday. That's rare for any government agency.

Old 04-08-16, 11:53 PM
well, the key thing to me is that heavy trucks and buses or traffic in general had always passed by here and never had any issues with ongoing vibration issues before. It's just started now in the past 3 weeks or so. When I say there is no traffic, and I still feel it, what I mean is that I feel some rumbling but when I run over to my window to look outside to see if that was caused by a large truck or whatnot, sometimes I don't see one, or I missed it because it drove by. There's also the small intersection that I can't really see from my window unless I'm plastered right up against it and look to my right. I think a lot of trucks or buses that go by there are bouncing around on uneven roads and that might be where some of it is coming from.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like there was still shaking and vibrations when no vehicles are present. For example, in the middle of the night when I'm still up at 3am, it's quiet and there's no vibration, except the odd time once or twice in the hour when a truck is passing through. I think what I mean more accurately when I feel the vibrations even though it appears no traffic was there is that it either passed by and I missed it (takes me a good 2-3 seconds to get to my front window), or the bumps and uneven damaged parts of the road it's travelling on past my view is reverberating still back to my building (which I didn't think was possible from that far out....but that's the only explanation as to why I can still feel so many vibrations).

The only last option I have is really to try and ask them to re-pave this stretch of road. I actually took a look around today and noticed that all the roads around here got re-paved except the piece of road right in front of our building. Everywhere else further down the street you can notice the thicker and blacker colored pavement that was recently paved on only a couple months back. I don't know why they skipped our section. That's what I'm going to mention to the city hall again and hope they'll come back and re-pave our section, too!

Old 04-09-16, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am sure Ray is going by your ISP location, but I haven't seen where you state your present location. Not just country, but part of the country.

Old 04-09-16, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
IIRC Guy is in Korea. Nothing/no one here in NA is going to have any help. Just move...

Have you ever seen some of the building collapses in these countries? China, Korea, Indonesia? They are so corrupt in building practices they make NYC look like saints. Granted S Korea is better than most.

Old 04-09-16, 06:56 AM
Temporarily Suspended
They are so corrupt in building practices they make NYC look like saints
Ah, NY values. Didn't Ted Cruz say something like that?

Old 04-09-16, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Didn't Ted Cruz say something like that?
I dunno, I don't follow those idiots very close.

I hate big cities in general. Never had a desire to visit NYC though I've driven though the outskirts a few times, that was enough for me. Lived in an LA suburb for far too long, no reason to go back. Same with San Fran, Chicago, Atlanta and all the other big urban areas.

If I could, I'd probably go live in a cabin on Marksr or Larry's property if they'd have me. I'm even beginning to dislike this little town I live in now.

Old 04-09-16, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Off my front porch facing the Arquaqua trail a few minutes ago. C'mon up Vic.

Name:  spring.jpg
Views: 4654
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 04-09-16, 06:44 PM
Even if no one can really help me where I am, I'm just researching for some general ideas of what kind of building codes exist for these sort of situations. In North America, aren't the roads public? So if enough people complain or file reports, the city is responsible to fix roads right?

Does anyone know of any professional building inspectors or companies I can ask questions to? I'm still wondering about such a device that exists to measure the amount of shake or vibration in the ground. I'm sure building contractors or policy makers have some kind of standards they are required to meet no?

Does anyone know if streets roads are generally solid all the way through the ground or hollow after a certain point (like when it hit the sewage system)? I know that they have been doing some digging recently. The city plans to remove all the wiring (electrical, cable etc) from street posts and run them underground from now on to make everything look cleaner and less messy. So I wonder if digging up the roads to make room for the wiring that will now run underground has made the ground less dense or less solid and somehow increased the amount of vibration? For instance, if you walk on solid ground that's concrete six feet deep, it's pretty dense and you won't hear any vibrations or echoes from footsteps, but if the ground you were walking on was hollow out, you could hear echo, almost like you just created a subwoofer.

Old 04-09-16, 06:48 PM
chandler, it sure looks peaceful and quiet there, something I could use about now. I swear my unit shakes all day non stop now. Isn't it insane to ask anyone to have put up with this for 9 more months?

Old 04-09-16, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
You're asking us to give you answers based on the codes in the United States but S. Korea is very different. You need to look for answers from your building departments there.

Old 04-09-16, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
I have no idea why you're experiencing vibrations but the right frequencies can cause issues, especially very low frequencies.

Old 04-10-16, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't help believe that it is a problem with the bldg's foundation. If it was correct then the road wouldn't be having that effect. Vibrations at the road shouldn't get transferred to the house.

Old 04-10-16, 03:51 AM
I were there, I'd contact the South Korean Seismological Society and ask if they've witnessed any unusual seismic activity during this same time period.

It has been reported that some nuclear testing in the North has produced tremors mimicking natural earth movement.

Not everything gets a wide press . . . . or timely press.

Old 05-30-16, 04:19 PM
they have re-paved the entire roads of the town except where I live LOL.
So I still have to wait another 1 or 2 months.

I took a picture of the road.....7,8,9,10+ manhole covers all literally right next to each other!! Is that normal? I would think that you only need 1 or 2 to go underground to the tunnels, but why 10??? Is this is just poor work done by the crew or is this actually justifiable?

Trucks that drive through at high speeds in the small town go over these manhole overs and I think you can guess why there's so much shaking and vibration.

Name:  Image1b.jpg
Views: 4607
Size:  41.4 KB

Old 05-30-16, 04:23 PM
here's another picture
Name:  Image3b.jpg
Views: 4568
Size:  34.4 KB

Old 05-30-16, 04:30 PM
and just recently, the entire kitchen cupboard fell off the wall! I took a picture and have reported this to a couple places that might give me more info on what to do.

Luckily this room was not occupied as nobody lives in it (I rent it out but I don't live in it). If a person or child even, had been sleeping on the floor when the kitchen cupboard fell, they could have been seriously injured or killed even. As you can see in the photo, the table stopped the kitchen cupboard from falling flat but if that table wasn't there and a person or child was sleeping on the floor.....

While I can't prove definitively that building shake for the past 3 months is responsible for this, there's no doubt in my mind that it is.....nobody uses the kitchen cupboards, nothing was in it.

Name:  DSC09135b.jpg
Views: 4714
Size:  31.2 KB

i had to do a bit of my own detective work and I examined the scene of the accident. The reason why I knew it fell first onto the kitchen sink was due to the bent water tap handle and countertop frame, and the kitchen cupboard is sitting upside down.....so picture it in your head...it falls straight down onto the kitchen countertop, then flips over upside down landing on the floor, then about to fall flat but stopped by the table. Imagine if a person/child had been there instead of the table.

Old 05-30-16, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
For an empty cabinet to fall off the wall... that tells me that it was not properly installed regardless of any small vibration. I tried to enlarge the image but I can't see the mounting holes in the wall.

I can't offer any opinion as to why there are so many man holes. I can say that if the wiring/utilities are underground..... they could be for vaults. Each utility could have its own vault/manhole cover.

Old 05-31-16, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
They probably used sheetrock screws instead of cabinet screws in to the studs for one thing. MY advice, fix it up. paint it sell the POS.

You are actually in SC right? Get rid of it.

Old 05-31-16, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The city would know [maybe have a map] what is under those manhole covers. I'd suspect there is a lot of open space under the road [storm sewer, utilities, etc] and that could make the road less stable. Is there a load limit posted for that road?

Did the screws break or pull out of the wall?

Old 05-31-16, 11:30 PM
thanks for the replies.

I see, so it sounds like it's possible this many manhole covers all next to each other is more normal than I thought? I've just never seen so many like this all literally next to each other on a road with high traffic. The interesting thing is that it wasn't like this before. The road used to be pretty smooth with just 1 or 2 manhole covers here and there. I think this happened due to this construction project they started (around october-november 2015), and it has to do with tearing all the electrical wires down from street posts an eventually running everything underground. Maybe that's why they made so many electrical vaults or whatever you called them? Also, I don't see any load limit signs anywhere.

As for the cabinet on the wall, I checked again and it looks like the screws were pretty short (sticking out around an inch or less), no stubs, just tiny screws sticking out of the back part of the cabinet. I agree, was probably crappy installment, and I know I can never prove that the vibraton/shaking is what caused it to fall down, but obviously it's a combination of both.

The cupboards have not fallen down in any of the other rooms in the building.

Old 05-31-16, 11:41 PM
Group Moderator
If you figure the wall finish is at least 1/2" thick it doesn't leave much for the screws to catch.

The cupboards have not fallen down in any of the other rooms in the building.
YET! Hopefully the same person/company didn't install them too.

Old 06-01-16, 03:44 AM
Will the OP please verify where he is from (honestly)? Where in Canada (town name), South Korea, South Carolina?

You need to call a building inspector. Actually the landlord must do that. You do not have the authority. You must call building inspection and take measures against the landlord to remedy the problem. Again you have no authority. From what I have read (assuming you are in Canada and every thing you say is true) you have two problems. Poor building construction or something that changed to make the building faulty and a geological problem caused by the road conditions. You must also get all people, including the landlord and the other tenant to band together and approach town as a united force. As it stands you will be labeled as a crack pot if you go it alone. Also you need lots of evidence to present and a detailed timeline of events.

Last edited by Norm201; 06-01-16 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
The OP is in South Korea..... not Canada.

Old 06-02-16, 09:54 AM
A couple years ago I read a blog about a similar problem affecting residents in thinly-inhabited areas of northern Michigan. There are natural gas pumping stations scattered in the area and the powerful compressors are housed in special sheds that are constructed to absorb the sound. What they can't absorb is the very low frequency (VLF/ELF/subsonic) vibration into the ground and that is making some locals sick (and tired...). You're not necessarily aware of the sound since it's below human hearing sensitivity, but your body feels it and over time can cause a multitude of physical and emotional problems.
Some pump stations are housed in older buildings that aren't as well constructed and at night when the wind dies down it sounds like a diesel train idling. Imagine living near that 24/7.

It has nothing to do with geology or building quality and the government and utilities absolutely deny the existence of a problem. From the earlier description of the sound & vibration (visible in a glass of water), it just might be something similar.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-02-16 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Link removed. Blogs not allowed
Old 07-16-16, 08:57 AM
Need some ideas

Some of you may have followed up on my bad road conditions situation that has caused my place to vibrate/shake for the past 5 months now after being totally fine the previous 2 years I've lived in this exact same building.

I've contacted local officials 3 times now since March and each time told me they'd re-pave the roads in a couple months but then I'd be told it will take another couple months. It was supposed to be completed in July, and now they told me it's been pushed back to Aug 30th.

To make it short without explaining my whole life story in the past 5 years, I'll just say that I'm at a very desperate point that I want to take action and do something myself to resolve or alleviate the situation. I don't know what happens if my health fails due to this problem but most likely nobody will pick up the tab and pay for anything. I don't think anyone will also pay for the inconvenience of me having to move a 4th time in the past 5 years after having found this place really quiet the first couple years. So all in all, I'm going to get the short-end of the stick. Lose my mind, lose my health, lose money, and all they will do for me is tell me to wait another month, another 2 months....it's been 5 months.

What sort of things can I do to send the message across even though it could get me in trouble lol, but it's nice to think about it:

Here some ideas I had:

1) graffiti or maybe a less severe option, chalk, and write on the road that needs to get fixed/re-paved in big bold letters all over the road "FIX THIS ROAD" or "FIX THIS M***F***NG ROAD NOW". I thought this was a pretty decent idea because it's not actually damaging any property. The road is going to be replaced anyways so whatever markings or signs I write on the road is not going to be permanent. It's only to sort of highlight or get the attention or embarrassment that this road needs fixing. If I use chalk, it'll just wash away probably when it rains or after many cars have driven over it.

2) put some objects on or near the road like those pylons or other stuff that might help to slow down the traffic in our road (it's a small town road but lots of volume....the new roads they paved everywhere else except my road has a couple new speed bumps and that would slow down the traffic especially of the big trucks and buses that make that make the most vibration/shake when they drive over the bad road. I know that people will just move the pylons aside or I'll end up wasting a lot of money when they disappear each time. So maybe I should just park my car (but someone will damage it) or leave a giant ass concrete block or something

3) collect a helluva lot of dirt/soil from the forest and transport it onto my bad patch of road where it's all cracked, chipped, bumpy and uneven. I was thinking maybe dumping a lot of sand/dirt on the road will either dampen or smoothen the road by filling in the crevices??? OR the presence of dirt and sand on the road might cause people to slow down? I like this idea the most because it's free....i can get the sand/dirt from forest which is all around me. It'll just take time for me to shovel it up and transport it with my car then dump it on my road and repeat 2-3x until there's a satisfactory amount of dirt to my liking.

Old 07-16-16, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Threads combined.........

There is no way you can start a new thread in reference to this one. Some members may remember and some may not. If you start a second thread all the same questions get asked again. Although this is a long thread..... you need to keep this topic here.

I don't recall ever seeing a confirmation..............
The OP is in South Korea..... not Canada.

Old 07-16-16, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure any of those options are a good idea since you don't own the road .... the gov't could take action against you if you do any of them.