Neighbor's and their dogs

Old 05-18-16, 01:38 PM
Neighbor's and their dogs

I don't have a problem with dogs, I have a problem with the owners who do not know how to control their pets. I have told my neighbors many times (lost count) to keep their dogs off my property; and their dogs still come to my property, most of the times to either poop or urinate. I come outside to confront them and they turn around as if they didn't see me. Their property is enormous, and never do they let their dogs poop or urinate on their own property, it's like they have trained their dogs to do it on mine. They never apologize when this happens either, it's like they could care less. I came out the shower one time with a towel on only, and to my surprise, the neighbor and his dog was directly outside my window, ON my property. I was in shock and now I am traumatized permanently. I don't need some creep looking at me coming outside my shower, or his dog pooping and urinating on it either. What can be done about this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-16, 01:45 PM
I'm no expert on this and I could be wrong about this but if they're not cleaning up after the dogs do their business in your yard, that alone could probably get 'em fined, at the very least...

Old 05-18-16, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Have you called the police and Animal Control? Either one would be a start in the right direction.

ETA, yes, they can get fined plus the fact they're trespassing.

Old 05-18-16, 01:55 PM
They almost never pick up the poop afterwards. One time I stepped on poop that was directly in front of my car door as I entered. I consider myself a very gentle person and try to be at peace with all people even when they are in the wrong, so this is probably why I have been so patient with my neighbors. I guess I can call animal control. Also, I'm afraid to press charges because some of my neighbors look like like the family from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie.

Old 05-18-16, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
I'm afraid to press charges
You either need to stand up for yourself, move or put up with this - it's your call.

Old 05-18-16, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fences and fence chargers make wonderful neighbors. Make sure it is fully on your property and go for it.

Old 05-18-16, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
First thing to do is put up no trespassing signs. Then when they ignore it call the cops. Let them deal with it. Take pictures so that if he denies it, you can show them the proof.

If all else fails, it's one of the reasons they invented fences.

Old 05-18-16, 03:29 PM
Your local animal control and the police are your best bet. If you are dealing with dirtbags the police will put them on notice.

Years ago I had a problem with a woman that walked her dog daily past my driveway. She let her dog crap in the bushes at the end of my drive and left it there. One day I stopped her and asked her to pick it up. She refused saying the weather would take care of it. After that I collected her dog crap for a couple of weeks and then I left it on her windshield. I also called animal control. No more problem.

Old 05-18-16, 04:10 PM
Temporarily Suspended
First thing to do is put up no trespassing signs
A cop once told me that a no trespassing sign is worthless with out a fence. Install a fence.

Old 05-18-16, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
They almost never pick up the poop afterwards. One time I stepped on poop that was directly in front of my car door as I entered. I consider myself a very gentle person
Gently pick up the offending matter and place in an area where it will be appreciated. I needn't tell you where that would be.

It's funny you should bring up neighbors and their dogs as I have a neighbor who is taking care of their daughters mutt while they're having a house built. This dog NEVER stops barking when it's outside. It barks at every little thing.

Old 05-18-16, 08:00 PM
Do you not have a leash law? These days, most cities and towns with more than one stoplight do. Is the dog not off the leash when it comes on to your property? Film it (with your smartphone if that's all you have) as proof of the offense. Send the neighbor a registered letter (keep a copy for your records) telling him that you have proof he is in violation of the leash law and that you will swear out a complaint if he doesn't restrain the dog. If the dog poops in your yard again once you've received notice that the letter was delivered (and you've managed to film it again), take you proof to the PD and tell them you want to swear out a complaint. Show them the receipt and a copy of the letter as proof of your good faith effort, then show them the video as proof that the violations continue.

Old 05-19-16, 12:19 AM
I agree with the fence idea and I also agree with the camera idea and the sign idea. However the ultimate way to stop this is get a fence around all of your property if all all possible and then post signs that say no trespassing at any time except for mail carriers and delivery persons. This property is monitored 24/7 by video cameras violators will be turned into the police. Only invited guests and friends may trespass no solicitors or any other trespassers.

Note all video is protected by an outside server. Enforce that with the real thing not fake cameras and do use an outside server that can store a whole weeks worth of videos and your problem is solved.

Old 05-19-16, 04:07 AM
PJ said,
Gently pick up the offending matter and place in an area where it will be appreciated. I needn't tell you where that would be.
I like what PJ said as first response. Just throw it back into their yard. If that does not stop the offense then go with the other suggestions.

Old 05-19-16, 06:49 AM
All good advice, I going to begin with putting up a fence. Hopefully my neighbors will know that I mean business and take this dog pooping thing seriously.

Old 05-19-16, 02:00 PM
That is probably your best and most sensible solution. If they ask why just say you want privacy and don't even go there with the dog problem. Keep it congenial and polite. They know what you're doing without being told.

Old 05-19-16, 09:10 PM
I agree with Norm201 your first step should be a fence and I also agree they don't need to be told to keep their dog off of your property. I definitely would have a gate included and a sign reminding people to please close the gate. We haven't had problems with dogs in our yard after having a chain link fence put up years ago. They could still do their business in your driveway but I advise against putting a fence there as it may be prohibited. Also there is the chance you could forget the gate and wham car damage.

I would also check into the type of fence allowed things can change as most people in our area have chain link fences but our city may want other types of fencing in the future, so things change. Then if all else fails go with my previous advice as a last resort.

Old 05-20-16, 05:20 AM
Yes, a fence is good, but a paper trail of complaints is necessary if all else fails. By notifying the police and animal control that there is an ongoing issue you will establish a record. Simply tell them you don't want to start a war and they will definitely know what you mean. But, they will be more vigilant at watching for that wandering dog and certainly for the neighbor walking on your front lawn.

By all means, be sure any action you take doesn't not give them the opportunity to file a complaint against you. You are in the right lane and you need to stay there.

Ask the police and animal control for their guidance.

Bud

Search this Thread