Neighbors dog's pooping

Old 08-23-16, 07:24 AM
Neighbors dog's pooping

Ok, so I have been dealing with this for about a year now. My neighbor's dogs would continually urinate and poop behind my stand alone cottage, which is run by my Landlord. I told my LL about the situation and he sent out a note to my neighbors. The situation seemed to have been resolved for a few months until recently it has begun again. I wrote 3 letters to my LL and none of them were replied to, neither was anything done about it. I have to deal with the foul odor of poop and urine all the time, and I am being ignored by my LL. What steps can be taken legally to deal with this situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Move somewhere else.

Seriously. If your landlord won't take care of something like this, what else won't he do that he should?

Old 08-23-16, 07:45 AM
Here's the thing...this would be the ideal place to live if it weren't for the dog poop. I live in a city where the rent is high and it's almost near impossible to find a place to live. I can't travel far distances either because I have physical impediments. So I'm left with no other choice but to live where I do now.

Old 08-23-16, 07:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most states have an agency that looks out for renter's rights. I don't know if they'd get involved in this or not as they usually get involved when the dwelling being rented doesn't meet minimum standards and sometimes on the money end. Might be a place to start.

Old 08-23-16, 09:24 AM
Lest you risk offending more of the Human Beings, maybe you can deal with the Dogs and discourage them from frequenting their habitual toilet area ?

Some cheap deterrents are ammonia, bleach, vinegar, and chili peppers . . . . especially if you can rinse their spot with a garden hose ahead of time and remove as much of their own scent(s) as possible. Experimenting with Cotton Balls soaked in each of the above household chemicals may allow you to experiment with them one at a time until you discover which is most effective in your situation. They shouldn't like any of them; but none are poisonous unless eaten. . . . and I doubt that you'll have to worry about that !

Commercial products like "Critter Ridder" or "Repells All" may do an equally good job; but will cost a whole lot more.

If you can, you might inoculate another area where you'd prefer that they deposit their waste; but that may require more investigation and trespassing on your part . . . . you just want them to go somewhere else.

Old 08-23-16, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
If you want to stay and the landlord won't respond, my next step would be to talk to the neighbors myself.

Old 08-23-16, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Electric fence...........

Old 08-23-16, 10:22 AM
Not sure how big the dog is, but a small, maybe 2', wire fence is is easy to put up. If you think s/he will jump it go to 3'. Add some of the deterrents as well and both the dog and the neighbor should get the hint.

Does your town have a leash law?

Bud

Old 08-23-16, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
I would just say something to them. After all, if you're paying rent, you have a right to. If you have leash laws and pick up after your dog laws, then you could even call the police.
I hope you don't take the electric fence suggestion seriously. Not only would that be pricey, but it would hurt the dog. It's not his fault. It's his owners that should pay.

Old 08-23-16, 11:38 AM
I have mentioned this to my neighbors in the past, and they apologized. But then it started back again, and now they don't even apologize for it anymore. I know that dogs usually poop in the same place because of the scent. Well, they've trained their dogs to poop in my area so the dogs will never poop on their property, but on my side.

Old 08-23-16, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Then, maybe I would just start picking it up and throw it back on their side! That would give them a hint.

Old 08-23-16, 12:17 PM
That actually sounds like a really good idea. I am actually going to do that the next time their dogs poop on my side.

Old 08-24-16, 08:56 AM
Neighbor's dog pooped on my property again this morning. I went out to confront my neighbor and he apologized and said that he will personally put up a fence on my side to keep his dog out.

Old 08-24-16, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Nobody mentioned, but motioned-activated sprinkler would work, too:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ed%2Caps%2C244

Old 08-24-16, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the update. This is a double win as the communications are opening up and the problem is being addressed. Just don't let it slide if that fence doesn't show up. Maybe offer to help.

Bud

Old 08-24-16, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Good news! Thanks for the update.

Old 08-26-16, 07:15 AM
The fence was finally put up by my neighbor, and it does an excellent job of keeping the dogs out. Those dogs have no other option but to poop in another location, which was decided by the dog's owners. It's in a neutral location, so that suffices the both of us. I appreciate everyone that commented.

Old 08-26-16, 08:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you were able to get it worked out, thanks for the update.

Search this Thread