My ex won't return my car or the tags

Old 09-12-16, 07:04 AM
My ex won't return my car or the tags

My wife and I have been seperated for well over a year and she drives the car registered solely to me. We lived in MD, she has moved to NC with her new boyfriend and wont return the car or the tags. I have offered to give her the title signed over to her if she will jest return the tags so I may remove it from my insurance. Sge said she would but has failed to do so. What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-16, 07:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

A divorce lawyer should be able to get it taken care of! You might contact the DMV and see what they say.

Old 09-12-16, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, you're in attorney territory now.

Old 09-12-16, 07:42 AM
You say separated, not divorced. Not an expert on this but if you two are still legally married she may own half of that car regardless of whom it is registered to. Laws will vary from state to state and especially where you are now in different states you will need legal advice to be sure where you stand.

Bud

Old 09-19-16, 01:29 PM
Who's name is on the title?

Old 09-19-16, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you need a lawyer.
You could skip the lawyer and call your insurance company, but they might take immediate action that is unknown to me and probably not good.
Around here, if you stay longer than 6 months (I believe) you are considered a resident. That can cause all kinds of problems with registration, insurance, and paying state taxes.

You might not need anything or any documents to remove the vehicle from your insurance. If the insurance company knew it was out of state, they will probably tell you it cannot be covered under your current policy.