Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Help Determing Exemption Code (Transfer of Deed)

Old 10-31-16, 09:37 AM

I'm going through a divorce and have a signed property settlement agreement where my spouse agrees to transfer the deed to my name only. I spoke with the county and they said I can get a generic quit claim deed form at most stationery stores. It sounds pretty straight forward, but I'm having difficulty finding the "exemption code" that they want me to enter on the form. They said it is not technically a quit claim deed (for whatever reason), so they need this code on the form or they will reject it. I believe the code would indicate the transfer is for "deeds pursuant to divorce or property settlement agreement". They said I could get the code from the Virginia state website, but it's not obvious to me exactly what I'm looking for. Can someone help me out?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-16, 09:52 AM
Is this the code they're asking for...630-14-806?

84-178 | Virginia Department of Taxation

Or maybe it's 58.1-806?

http://law.justia.com/codes/virginia.../58.1-806.html

Old 10-31-16, 12:16 PM
I figured it out. The two women I spoke with this morning were intentionally being vague because they are not authorized to give that sort of advice. Finally, the third woman I spoke with gave me just enough information to find what I need. It's basically the title/section/subsection of the state code that references the reason why it would be tax exempt--not some special "code" per say. It is the code.