Entering my unit without notice

Old 03-27-17, 07:22 AM
Entering my unit without notice

So either my Landlord or the repairman entered unit without permission or notice. My landlord told me not to go on vacation or anything because my unit needed repairs. I took this to mean that I need to be in my unit to let either the repairman or landlord in. I came home at night and found out that repairs have been made in my unit. However, I got NO notice to let anyone into my unit at all. The last time this happened, someone stole something. Does the repairman or landlord have the right to enter my unit without notice? By the way, I live in California, so I'm not sure about the law for entry into a unit. The reason why I am upset about this is because I feel like they invaded my privacy without notice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-17, 07:25 AM
By the way, they entered my unit the next day without notice, and not the same day.

Old 03-27-17, 07:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the apartment a legal rental? Have you considered a new lock?

Old 03-27-17, 09:37 AM
Group Moderator
What does your lease say about the landlord entering?

Old 03-27-17, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your lease should spell out what can or can not be done but usually the landlord or his employee/contractor can enter to make repairs. A lot depends on how urgent the repair work is. What type of repairs were made?

Old 03-27-17, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Urgency usually trumps any right of notification. Our leases state we must give 24 hours notice unless it's an emergency. What constitutes an emergency is not detailed.

I also would like to know how the landlord has responded.

Old 03-27-17, 11:50 AM
The landlord wanted to replace my fire alarm and water heater because of an appraisal. The appraisal guy said that those need to be fixed or replaced before the landlord can get an estimate on how much the property worths. The landlord seems like he wants to get that done as soon as possible so he can sell the property.

Old 03-27-17, 02:13 PM
It sounds like your LandLord may have interpreted his conversation with you about not going on vacation as meeting the definition of the required "notice".

You may need to contact the California Tenant's Association to find out what proper notification would have been, and how much notice was required.

Old 03-27-17, 02:51 PM
What's done is done. Nothing can reverse your feeling of invasion of privacy. However, you can and should talk with your landlord and make sure it does not happen again. If you two can't agree on a compromise for future incidents then you need to contact legal advice.

Old 03-27-17, 03:43 PM
Smile

I appreciate everyone's advice. I'll have a talk with him and see what he has to say.

Search this Thread