Acquiring title to camper

Old 04-10-17, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Acquiring title to camper

As some of you know my wife bought her sister's old burnt out home place from the druggie that owned it. He left behind a 5th wheel camper and it looks like he's not going to come after it. The guy at the zoning dept told my wife she could get a writ of possession which would give her the right to sell or otherwise dispose of it. The folks at the courthouse don't have a clue and told her to contact her lawyer .... who hasn't returned her call.

I assume all the paper work could be filed diy - but what paperwork? I assume the county would have to serve papers on the guy which could be problematic. We know where he usually stays but it's rumored the sheriff dept is looking for him. Any ideas? Just want the camper gone [legally so there are no repercussions] without spending more than the old camper is worth.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-17, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
In my state you can get what is called a bonded title if you don't have the original title. Brief explanation:
What is a bonded title. The bonded titling process consists of a series of situations surrounding an ownership titling event, most commonly for a motor vehicle, in which some part of the documentation required for ownership is missing or unavailable and the previous owner(s) cannot be located in order to obtain the required documentation. If you do not have acceptable evidence of ownership for your vehicle, you have the option of applying for a bonded title.
Heres info on bonded title for your state: http://blog.suretysolutionsllc.com/s...ed-title-today

Old 04-10-17, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something to check into - thanks

The part that concerns me about a bonded title is where it says you must state you are the legal owner of the vehicle [are we?] and if it's disputed the bond company pays but you have to pay the bond back.

Is there something that covers abandoned vehicles/campers?

Old 04-10-17, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another question, any idea where the serial number would be? There is no tag and the only marking I've seen on the exterior is a broken emblem that ends in thon.

Old 04-10-17, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
The serial number is on the exterior, the inside of a cabinet door and some paperwork in a drawer for our older 5th wheel.

Old 04-10-17, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Mark, check with towing companies in the area. Might get one to take it away at no cost and they would then do the usual paperwork involved with impounded vehicles and trailers. Don't know about your area, but here an abandoned trailer, as long as you are the legal owner or agent of the property it is sitting on, could be towed and processed pretty routinely.

Old 04-10-17, 05:32 PM
Vehicles with titles need to follow specific rules. Looks like no self help, but instead call a tow company and they auction it off to the highest bidder.

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/article/a...ended-vehicles
https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/r...601Fill-in.pdf
https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/r...edVehicles.pdf

That being said, if you know the guys name, and how long it's been there,
go to small claims court, the claim is that the trailer is trespassing.
Well, actually, the owner is trespassing, by means of his trailer.

Old 04-10-17, 07:30 PM
You could always just hang a large "FREE" sign on it and let someone else deal with the title, you know it will vanish for sure then.

Old 04-11-17, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks guys, I'll pass the info on to my wife. Getting it towed off sounds like a winner

Old 04-12-17, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks like she's going to have her lawyer take care of it. She has an appointment for next week ...... but then why should she listen to me

She found an emblem I missed and it's a Marathon. No identification tags on the exterior body or the frame at the 5th wheel portion. I broke in :NO NO NO: and found no tags, literature or anything inside. Wish it was in a location where a thief would feel comfortable in stealing

Old 04-27-17, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
update

The camper is gone!!
A week or so ago my wife hired an attorney to take care of the matter, she gave him $300 Yesterday morning the boy that owns the camper called and asked if my wife wanted to buy it, first he says he wants $2600 but he'd take $1000, they agreed on $500 [about what it's worth] I was against the deal but my wife wanted it over with. So we went to bring him the cash and see someone hooking up to the camper. A friend of that boy who said he struck a deal with him ..... so we went on about our other business for the day.

We came in that afternoon and both the boy who owned the camper and the one that got it were there, so we stopped. The boy that acquired the camper said he'd come back and clean up the mess he made getting the camper out. The boy that owned it asked for his $500 say what!!! Claimed he made the deal with my wife before that other boy came and got the camper so we owed him ??? Anyway we told him he was nuts and went home.

Later that evening my wife gets a call from a sheriff detective, the boy's mother had reported the camper stolen and named my wife as the suspect She explained to the detective what was going on. Time will tell if the case is closed.

Old 04-27-17, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Good time for you to get called for jury duty, Mark.

Geez, the average idiots keep making up new stuff to amaze me.

Old 04-27-17, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Claimed he made the deal with my wife before that other boy came and got the camper so we owed him ???
The deal was $500 for the camper. You have no camper so he gets no $500.

Old 04-27-17, 05:23 PM
Nothing in writing? Both parties get what they deserve! Sorry to be so blunt.

Old 04-27-17, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
I agree! Mark deserves not to have a crappy camper to deal with. :P

Old 04-28-17, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Both parties get what they deserve
Not sure why my wife didn't get the time period for the camper to be moved in writing. She even offered to pay someone to move it for him 6 months ago but he was too lazy to come out an unhook the camper or even give instructions as to where it would be moved to. Hopefully we won't see/hear from that dope head anymore. Rumor has it he is wanted in Virginia for drug charges and many suspect he'll be arrested soon in Tennessee.

The main thing is that camper is off the property! and I can finish cleaning up the place. I'm also glad I don't have to deal with cleaning up and removing that camper

Search this Thread