Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Landlord issues

CAL

04-18-17, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Landlord issues

So my landlord hung up on me. Since I've moved into my apartment, there have been a lot of issues, such as repair and other issues. It's almost one after another. My landlord is getting frustrated by me because of constantly fixing things in my apartment. He told me over the phone "Where's all these problems coming from?" It's not like I'm having trouble as a result of something I did. It just so happens to be that way. Anyway, he hung up on me over the phone. I'm thinking that he may want to evict me, but not sure. Does he have a right to evict me because of all these issues? And what rights as a tenant do I have?

Sponsored Links

CAL

04-18-17, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)  
By the way, I recently asked for my sink to be repaired and to get rid of slugs. He never responded, even though I asked him 3 times already.

Group Moderator

WI

04-18-17, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)  
He has to come up with a valid reason to evict you, asking for repairs will not suffice. Not renew your lease? Sure, he could do that.

Best bet is to consult with an attorney for an hour to see what you can do - around here you cannot withhold rent in order to get repairs made but it can be deposited in escrow with an attorney to do so. A fine line but you want to make sure you're on the side where he gains no control over you.

VT

04-18-17, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Posted By: enougher ". . . what rights as a tenant do I have? . . ."
On March 27th, I suggested that you contact the California Tenants Association . . . . they'd have the answer to your question.

CAL

04-19-17, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I actually contacted someone from my local news team and they led me to this link: California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

It seems like he HAS to repair any damages to my unit or I can withhold the rent money, or I can deduct the amount used to repair any damages from the rent. There are other solutions as well. I guess the biggest problem I have with my landlord is him being a total ***** by his behavior. He acted as if I was the one who is in the wrong. I didn't set up traps in my own unit to purposely ask a repairman to fix it, but his attitude was as if I did. He needs a major attitude adjustment.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-19-17 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Language

CAL

04-20-17, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I really don't know what to do at this current time. My landlord will not respond AT ALL. He won't respond to my letters or anything. I'm basically paying rent, living in a unit that is in a state of disrepair and my landlord is ignoring me.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-20-17 at 08:41 AM.

Group Moderator

WI

04-20-17, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)  
That's called a slumlord. He's not going to change without someone forcing him to do so. Start looking for a new place to live.

Super Moderator

PA

04-20-17, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Start looking for a new place to live.
In case you're not aware, his landlord is looking to sell the property, so could be why he isn't complying.

In our hearts, we all know that it's wrong to harm an animal and that we should take action to protect them -
Patrick McDonnell

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!

CAL

04-20-17, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)  
It's like the landlord will do whatever it takes to save a few dollars. Instead of hiring people to trim the bushes and grass surrounding mine and other people's unit, he'll do it himself, and he's almost 80 years old. I remember having my toilet replaced a while back...he had someone buy the cheapest plastic toilet and install it. There was some plumbing and leaking issues my neighbors had, and it took the landlord almost 2 months to fix the problem, and the people he hired were not even contractors and was super slow and lazy. Anyway, it's extremely difficult to find a place to live in my area due to the high rent and cost of living. A small studio will cost around 2500-3000k per month, and it's not even one bedroom.

VT

04-20-17, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)  
So have you complained to the Tenants section of the California Department of Consumer Affairs with the same number of issues that you've written about on this website ?

At least they might be able to take some action on your behalf. Nobody on this Forum can do anything for you.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-20-17, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Not trying to defend your landlord but it may be that he can't afford to be a landlord and that might be his primary reason for selling the place. Unless you expect the place to sell shortly, I'd be looking for a new place to live.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

04-20-17, 03:19 PM   #12 (permalink)  
That's one reason a lot of people move. It's the same in Seattle and nearby suburbs, LA area, NYC, Miami, etc, etc. You realize that for the rent's you mentioned you could easily buy a 3000sf (or larger) home in most of the country?

It's real simple, follow through on some of the suggested actions or document all the issues and send a 30 day notice letter that you intend to move if the problems aren't resolved.

Then let us know when you will be on one of the Court TV shows when you or he sues the other.

You don't have to trim your own bushes or mow the grass?? If it's an actual apartment complex or condo type thing, why do you care? If it's more of a duplex, he wrote a bad rental agreement. Around here, you maintain it, or they hire someone and bill you or boot you out.

As my Dad used to say, quit complaining about it and get off yer duff and do something. Not direct to the owner, obvious that's not working. Contact one of the places mentioned or get a lawyer to review the lease.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

CAL

04-20-17, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)  
He got an appraisal ASAP, and he is trying to sell other properties ASAP too. Finding another place to live is easier said than done. The rent and cost of living are too high for me to move, and I only pay 995$ per month for rent for the unit I am living in now, as opposed to 2 or3k per month. Also, My job is very close to where I live. A HUGE convenience!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-21-17, 04:04 AM   #14 (permalink)  
If your rent is that much lower compared to the rest - you should expect it not to be as nice or well kept! Maybe you should learn to deal with the problems and make the best of it.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

04-21-17, 06:55 AM   #15 (permalink)  
Having a landlord who will not fix repairs should be expected due to my rent being low?

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

04-21-17, 07:11 AM   #16 (permalink)  
Probably one of the reasons rent is low, New owner and repairs made expect higher rent.

CAL

04-21-17, 07:29 AM   #17 (permalink)  
I've come to realize that the landlord is never going to respond to my requests. I just now realized that I can get housing that is very inexpensive due to me being permanently disabled, but there's a waiting list.

PA

04-21-17, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)  
Posted By: enougher Having a landlord who will not fix repairs should be expected due to my rent being low?
Well, yes. I do find that, generally, "you get what you pay for"

Sorry to be blunt, but if you are paying 1/3 of the market rate for housing,
you should expect that repairs are going to take about 3x longer.

I see this, generally with elderly owners, who rent their properties
WAY below market value, because they have almost paid off a 30 year mortgage.
So. let's say an owner has an apartment at $2k, or $3k market rental value, because they only have a $400 mortgage payment, they're comfortable with a $995 rental.

They're happy, they value the peace and security of a below market rental to the hassle
of servicing a full-market value rental.
See, landlords are just like the post office or Amazon, you pay a premium for next day service.

I'm Curious though, what did your Landlord promise about repairs?
Leases usually have a clause about "repairs done in a reasonable time",
which makes them a sliding scale; a dripping faucet takes a while to fix,
but when a tree falls on the building, immediate repairs are made.

Posted By: enougher I actually contacted someone from my local news team and they led me to this link:
California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

It seems like he HAS to repair any damages to my unit or I can withhold the rent money,
or I can deduct the amount used to repair any damages from the rent.
Um, that's not what that says.
It's about a "warranty of habitability".
In English, that means that if the unit is so bad you no longer live in it, e.g. "habitability",
then you don't have to pay for it, and are automatically out of the lease.
If the landlord can't or won't fix the heater in the winter in Chicago, that's "habitability",
along with having water and sewer. You can A) not pay rent, or B) pay to make the repairs needed for the apartment to be habitable.

As long as you're actually living in the apartment, you're responsible for paying rent.
And that's where we get to rent withholding.
If 1/2 of the apartment is unlivable, then you can escrow 1/2 the rent.
None of what you quoted appears to apply to small repairs, garden slugs or a leaking sink.

CAL

04-22-17, 08:24 AM   #19 (permalink)  
The lease doesn't specify on when repairs should be done by. Plumbing repairs are usually done by a week or two max. Pest control situations such as garden slugs would be done within a week. Exterior repairs such as rotting wood and roof leakage were done almost immediately. Anyway, I'm going to see if there are any places to live in for the disabled. That would save me a lot of money.

Last edited by enougher; 04-22-17 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to add word

CAL

04-24-17, 07:33 AM   #20 (permalink)  
I forgot to add that it's not whether a repair such as a leaking sink taking longer in my situation, it's a matter of my Landlord WON'T make the repair at all!

Search this Thread