City Code Violation for Egress

Old 08-26-17, 07:22 PM
City Code Violation for Egress

Hi. Our Central AC is having issues - 6K to fix - Tech suggested window AC's until we could afford to fix. Purchased 4 (for $200 each) at Home Depot. Husband installed. They worked great. Electric bill was even less. 2 months later we find a City Code Violation on our front porch for 'Egress' no exit in case of fire. No negotiating, they had to come out. Thank God summer is almost over. Kids back to college, so husband removed them. But we're very angry. At the City of course - we're not idiots - in case of fire, they could literally be pushed out , they're small. At the tech who suggested them and didn't warn us but most of all at Home Depot for selling them w/o any warning of any kind. Bought them at a HD that was the same city as this violation - they should know (or probably do and don't care). Since we've had 2 months, we can't return them - they are worthless, now. So angry. Not necessarily looking for solution now, just wondering - was this a buyer beware thing (that WE were responsible for?) Doesn't the seller bare any responsibility here?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-17, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
They can be installed through the wall if you have a frame not brick veneer house. Even brick veneer is possible just more complicated.

Old 08-26-17, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
No they have no responsibility whatsoever. I will quit there.

Old 08-26-17, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
I agree, because they recommended it or sold it, doesn't make them experts on window A/Cs nor can they control how it's used. Likely they were both unaware anyway, since it's not in their realm of expertise.

Probably says in the cautions and warnings in the manual to follow all local, state, national codes during installation?

Old 08-26-17, 09:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for this post.

This is valuable information. I am sure that your post can help many readers consider a fire exit when installing a window unit.

I just purchased a window unit and this information will dictate where I install it if Harvey knocks out power.

Old 08-27-17, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Because of the many ways and locations you can use many products it's almost impossible to advise about code issues. Can you imagine HD trying to educate you about local codes if you purchased a 2x4. HD also had no knowledge of where you would install the AC units. Maybe you were installing it in a living room where blocking a window would be no issue, or in a bedroom that had two windows.

Old 08-27-17, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
FYI, moved this to legal issues since that's what the question is about and not about air conditioning.

I'm sure you've heard the expression "Ignorance is not an excuse...." because it is up to people themselves to do their homework, but stuff happens.

How would Home Depot know what your house looks like or if there's any fire exits? Just because you bought 4 air conditioners doesn't tell them anything. Don't understand.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-27-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-27-17, 06:01 AM
Since we've had 2 months, we can't return them - they are worthless, now.
Recoup some of your money by selling them as used on Craigslist. Or donate them to a family or charity that can use them.

Old 08-27-17, 08:56 AM
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate your time.

Old 08-27-17, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Personally I would ignore the city and use them anyway. It is not like they can make you stop using them. It is your property.

Old 08-27-17, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Toyln, I'm not so sure about that since they've already had a violation noticed posted on their door.

Old 08-27-17, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
As I mentioned earlier you can use them if installed through the wall. No, not probably best if you intend to use only temporary and HOA rule if active needs to be considered..