Farm licence plates? Legality in CT?

Old 01-21-18, 08:42 AM
Farm licence plates? Legality in CT?

"Farm plated vehicles are prohibited from transporting goods for hire (transporting products of others for pay)."
this is from DOT under farm plates.
Does this mean he is allowed to transport firewood for his own profit? un related to the farm business?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-18, 09:28 AM
I don't believe so. Section 14-49(q) also states
the vehicle must be used exclusively in agricultural production
While I'm not certain of the exact meaning of agricultural production, your statement of unrelated to farm business seems to exclude your firewood transport.

Old 01-21-18, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably iffy. If he's bring the firewood back to the farm he should be legal but if he's delivering it [firewood for sale] it probably isn't.

Old 01-21-18, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
I read it as "You can't use your big farm truck as a delivery vehicle for other people." If it's his wood, delivered on his truck...then it's an agricultural product and the only one profiting is him. What he can't do is contract with a local appliance store to deliver refrigerators. Or with a neighbor who has a woody lot to deliver firewood to his neighbors customers.

Old 01-21-18, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would say "technically" if he is in the legal agricultural "fire wood" business, he can deliver fire wood for profit in a vehicle with farm plates.

I would think its the same as a cotton farmer or cattle farmer. As long as he is using this vehicle for his agricultural business or growing trees to harvest as fire wood... if that is his legal business... its ok. I wouldn't think it'd be any different than a agricultural cotton farmer hauling his cotton to market for profit. Nor any different than a cattle farmer who raises cattle & transports them to market for profit. He is hauling his legal agricultural commodity for profit. Farming is farming whether its firewood, cotton or cattle.

Just my 2 cents......

Old 01-21-18, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Farm plates often read "not for hire". What does that mean to you?

Old 01-21-18, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
After I posted, I went back & re-read the original post. I decided to leave my first post for additional reference.
To directky answer your question, he can not haul someone else's property for profit with farm plates. If his neighbor (Jim Bob) has fire wood & asks the farmer to haul firewood for him for payment/profit, he cant do that. That requires commercial plates & comes under DOT regulations.

The farmer with farm plate can not use his truck for any reason except for "his specific" farm use. I'll go so far as to note that legally, he cant use it for even his personal use. He cant take the family to McDonalds for dinner. He cant even use this vehicle to go to church. The ONLY thing he can "legally" use this vehicle for, is specifically his own farm use.... period... end of story.

Old 01-21-18, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Probably should say "shouldnt"... not can't. LOL! Yes, "legally" is the key word.

Being in the heart of farm country I see these laws "stretched" on a daily basis. Drive through any high school... grocery store... hair salon... (you name it) parking lot and count the farm plates on the trucks. Some even get farm plates on vehicles that I wouldn't even call trucks. Escalades? Really? Taking your hogs to market in that are ya?

Repairs on their house get billed to the "farm account". That's probably not the half of it. I'm a farmer... therefore everything I do is a tax deduction. I know not all farmers do that, but a lot bend the rules to suit them as long as they can get away with it.

Course, they justify all this because the personal property taxes here are completely insane.

Old 01-21-18, 12:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Agreed XSleeper. I live in the south (N/E Louisiana) and farm plates are very common here. I was raised on a small farm & lived in a primarily dominate farming community. My dad & his dad were farmers. Even though farm plates were & still are plentiful, I have never known anyone to get into trouble because of illegal use of farm plates. Everyone buys one truck, puts farm plates on it & does everything in that truck. Vacations all over the U. S. .... everything. I dont know of anyone getting in trouble for having farm plates on their vehicle. And as you mentioned, yep wives Cadillacs, Lincoln Town car, Chevy Impala's ... everything.