Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to look up if my tenant's collecting disability?

Old 02-13-18, 07:31 PM

I'm giving the guy a price break while he gets on his feet but if he's collecting disability that price has to be adjusted

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-18, 07:58 PM
Whether or not your tenant is collecting a disability award is none of your business. What you charge for rent IS your business and you can charge him market rates, below market rates or above market rates subject to any rent control laws in effect in your area. This MAY be modified IF you are part of a government low-income rental program.

Old 02-14-18, 04:58 AM
Obviously I get all that. The situation is a little more personal since it's a longtime friend of mine otherwise there'd be no price break in the first place.

Old 02-14-18, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
I'd just ask him. If he's on disability he can produce documentation showing so.

Old 02-14-18, 07:42 AM
It would be in his interest, in other words enjoying a lower price, to not show me any such paperwork.
I guess I should have rephrased my question to ask if disability collectors is FOIAable so I would know if he's taking in more money than he says he is

Old 02-14-18, 09:33 AM
If he is a friend then do as Pilot suggests and just ask him. He will either tell you yes or no, or he will tell you it is none of your business. Down side is it could possibly end your friendship so think twice before asking.

As for it being a FOIA issue, I don't know but I would rather doubt it. You can't get information on another person's tax return either.