Options for a botched A/C install

Old 03-12-19, 06:01 PM
Options for a botched A/C install

I hired a Mitsubishi diamond dealer to install a mini split system. It included one wall mounted unit and 4 ceiling units (5 zone total). First they tried to hook up a super dented compressor. The back of it had no less than 6 huge dents in it. They tried to argue it was “cosmetic only” and said they could hammer out the dents. I declined however they still spent 2 hours hammering out the dents (which were still obvious) and I again declined. They finally agreed to replace it but were not happy.

Next, all of the ceiling units were mounted horribly. One of them has a legitimate half inch gap between the units cover and the drywall. For another 2 of them they caused hairline cracks running several inches across the ceiling. There are also holes around the unit where they cracked the drywall. Their solution is to caulk it, which I fear is going to crack over time due to temp changes in the attic. I texted the salesman suggesting they use sheet metal to cover this gap, but he declined and said they would fix it “per manufacturer standards”. I asked him if he is going to cover this when it cracks in a few years because they used caulk/spackle and he agreed, so I do have that in writing.

There were a few other issues such as them denting up my soffits, using permanent marker on the wall to mark something, among other things.

What do I do? Do I call Mitsubishi and report them? Refuse payment? Post the pics on social media and tag them? Pay and hope the ceiling doesn’t crack? I am at a loss.. I hired this company because they were a diamond dealer but they have done a terrible job. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-19, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
refuse payment and call Mitsubishi. Enplane what you told us.

Old 03-13-19, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
Do not assume the 'warranty' provided is worth anything more than the paper on which it was written as companies come and go all the time and the warranty is worth nothing when the company no longer exists.

Old 03-13-19, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure doesn't sound very professional!
I had a 'scratch and dent' unit installed in a rental I used to have but the unit came with a decent discount.
using permanent marker on the wall to mark something
That can be difficult to cover up. I'd apply 2 coats of a pigmented shellac primer like Zinnser's BIN. Magic marker ink will bleed thru most primers and all paints.
One of them has a legitimate half inch gap between the units cover and the drywall. For another 2 of them they caused hairline cracks running several inches across the ceiling. There are also holes around the unit where they cracked the drywall. Their solution is to caulk it,
Caulk generally is not the fix for drywall! Cracks and voids should be taped and finished with joint compound.
refuse payment and call Mitsubishi
I agree! Mitsubishi should have more clout with the installing company.