Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Law and Legal Advice > General Law and Legal Advice
Reload this Page >

Mislead by mechanic now my engine is toast

Old 05-25-19, 12:03 PM

My motorcycle was making a "ticking noise" so I took it to a motorcycle repair shop last fall to have it diagnosed. They had it for 3 days. When I got it back I was told "Nothing is wrong, The ticking you are hearing is your timing chain tensioner going bad and may need replaced in the future no need to worry about it" They didnt even bill me for their time. I was relieved that it was nothing serious from what I was told by a reputable shop and went on my way. I drove the bike maybe 2 more weeks last fall before parking it for the season. Got it out again for spring and drove it for less than a week when it started to refuse to start once it was hot, the bike not the outside temperature which then concerned me about my "ticking noise" so I joined an online forum related to my motorcycle and was told the noise could be what is called a "connecting rod bearing" that has spun and then rattles and if caught early enough is a simple and cheap fix. Guess what, mine was caught early enough last fall when I first took it to the shop but now my engine is toast and needs replaced which is estimated at $1,500. Is this my fault for not getting a second opinion on the noise or their fault for mis diagnosing it and telling me "its fine". Im guess the biggest thing here would be proving it had these same symptoms when I took it to them the first time? What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-19, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Seriously? You drove it for 2 weeks after, put it away since the fall and drove it another week and you really think you can somehow hold the repair shop responsible? Nope, not gonna happen. What was your plan? To take them to court or go in there and demand they fix it for free? Sorry, but no, I don't see this going anywhere.
Just like cars, if you own something, you have to expect to pay some money to get it fixed sometimes or learn to do it yourself. My 2cents!

Old 05-25-19, 12:54 PM
have you looked around for used engines that you could go through?
shop probably did not spend much time on it even though they had it 3 days or they would of billed you for there time, I would of got a second opinion but a spun bearing is not going to be a cheap fix either way it damages the crankshaft journals and rod when a bearing spins.

Old 05-25-19, 03:19 PM
To me when I mention the symptoms to a forum and a few people say "sounds like a spun bearing to me" and for a shop who works on motorcycles for a living to have it in front of them and hear the sound and not know thats what it was and tell me that "I was good to go" then I end up destroying my engine by not getting it replaced there and then seems to me is a 2 way street.

If I knew it was a spun bearing last fall I would of payed to get it fixed then, but now its more than a spun bearing. its a trashed bearing and crankshaft and the entire bottom end would need rebuilt. A used engine is $700 + install. I am looking at $1500 simply because I was told "I was good to go".

Almost 15 years ago my sister had her oil changed and the shop forgot to put oil back in the car. Her engine seized up. she was told she was "good to go" and they ended up paying to have her engine replaced.

Im not looking to get out of paying nothing, just wish I wasnt told I was "good to go" when I wasnt.

Old 05-25-19, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Ever hear the phrase "you snooze you loose"?

First, you cannot hold a repair shop responsible for something they did not do. Second, you waiting so long after makes it a snowball's chance of even getting a "sorry" out of the shop.

Old 05-25-19, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
I take it its a harley... Yes the cam tensioners fail. 99-06 had them.. Any bikes of those years I remove the tensioners and add gears.. 2007 they when hydraulic.. before 99 were evo motors.. whole different animal..

now the bearings 99-2000-2001 had bad bearings. Lefty side. It was a know engine issue on the redesigned twin cam...

Give us more detail on the bike...

Old 05-25-19, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Im not looking to get out of paying nothing
But you posted this in law and legal advice.??

Your sister's case was entirely different. They did work on it and did something wrong. You're comparing apples to oranges.
AFAIK, there's no law that says someone has to do work for someone or tell them what's wrong. There's just no legal responsibility in what they did (or didn't do).

Old 05-25-19, 05:56 PM
Repair shop gets a motorcycle from a customer.
Repair shop stays in business by identifying and fixing what's wrong with motorcycles.
Repair shop waits 3 days before checking whether it's profitable to fix a motorcycle.
Repari shop misses an obvious repair that would be profitable.
Repari shop does this diagnosis for free.

Nope, none of that makes sense.

There must be some sort of backstory here...

Last edited by Hal_S; 05-25-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 08:26 PM
I posted this here because I wanted legal advice not advice on the motorcycle. Its shot and over with but for those of you who want to know it is a 2000 Honda CBR600f4 I owned it for 4 years and for what happened to happen it usually takes it riding it very very hard like over revving it or revving it with no load or running it low on oil neither of which ive personally never done. As for the shop there is no back story thats missing. I was told the noise was coming from the cam tensioner on its way out and that it will eventually will need replaced. I was there for a diag not a repair and Im assuming I didnt get charged for the diag because upon starting the bike he spent 30 seconds or so heard the noise and said to himself "yupp that right thurr is a tensioner thingy mabob noise" and moved on to the next bike. All I asked for was a diag of the noise. if he "figured it out" very quickly... too quickly.. then they decided not to charge me for it.

Old 05-25-19, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm ok... but its beyond the scope of advice we can give here regarding your issue. Your best to seek out a lawyer if you feel you need to pursue it.

Old 05-25-19, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
I like mine better....just an opinion though

Shadeladie liked this post.
Old 05-26-19, 05:54 AM
Suppose I'm your next door neighbor and a cycle expert. You ask me what the noise means. I say a tensioner. I'm wrong. Can you sue me? You be the judge. No money passes between us, no work order written, months go by before a problem gets worse. You were told that the tensoner was going bad. Why didn't you fix it then and most likely would've found the real problem. And then maybe you might have a case against the shop if they did not find the real cause of the ticking.

With all due respect to Lawrosa, don't waste you time or money on legal advice. You have no legal standing.

Old 05-26-19, 10:39 AM
I didnt put money into the tensionser then because winter was coming up and I trusted the mechanic when he told me not to worry about it yet and there is a difference between my neighbor giving me advice on something and a professional giving me advice but I do see the point in that it wasnt paid advice... I guess I just have to chalk it up as a loss and rant it out on yelp. I still think it all could have been avoided if it was properly diagnosed.

Old 05-26-19, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Misdiagnosing happens all the time. Be thankful it was a mechanical misdiagnoses and not health related.

Shadeladie liked this post.
Old 05-26-19, 04:24 PM
Well I was already in that boat also sadly enough...

Old 05-26-19, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure that replacing the bearings on a crankshaft is a 'quick & easy fix'. And if they're gone, there's likely to be a lot of wear & tear elsewhere, like any other bearings that rely on oil pressure. It sounds like an old motor to me.

How many miles on it?

Old 05-27-19, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
I had that same thought, steve; if the bearing was spun it was not a slam dunk that a simple bearing replacement was going to get it back on the road again cheaply and with long-lasting results.

Old 05-27-19, 06:32 AM
22k miles, one cylinder. Within so many miles of the first symptoms of the spin you can just replace the bearing through the oil pan, at least on my bike you can. 1 hour job. Now enough miles has been driven that the bearing has disintegrated and has seized itself to the connecting rod and scored the crank and bits of the bearing has tore up the lower half of the engine.

Old 05-27-19, 09:10 AM
on cars you can resize rods and turn the crank and get oversize bearings not sure if any of that is commonly done to motorcycle engines but you couldn't just slap a new bearing in there and expect it to last it probably spun cause it wasnt getting enough oil anyway witch means even more work on the oiling system so it was going to cost a lot to fix originally anyway atleast to fix it correctly. doubt you could of found any shop that would of only threw a new bearing in it and let it out the door saying it was repaired.

Old 05-27-19, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
"Dedicated to Super Evaluators Dirk Vandenberg and Josef Boyd"

Let us know if you find that in the upper fairing when you break it down to repair.. Curious..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Boyd