Camper license plate needed?

Old 06-19-19, 02:02 PM
Camper plate & registration needed?

Here in Wisconsin, a camper weighing under 3,000 pounds is not REQUIRED to have a title or registration, so ours does not. We plan to take this camper out of state, to states that DO require campers to be titled and registered. Since we are Wisconsin residents, and our car is licensed in Wisconsin, would we be legally towing our camper in those other states?
Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by Andrew; 06-19-19 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-19, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know it's legal although you might want a copy of that statue just in case. Here in tenn non commercial trailers don't need a tag but I've never taken mine far out of state [just across the border]

Andrew, joecaption liked this post.
Old 06-19-19, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
(Not a lawyer)

If you are not a resident of the state you are visiting you shouldn't be required to license the trailer there. Similar to a car.

Old 06-24-19, 07:03 AM
Thank you everyone. I emailed the Indiana State Police, and they confirmed that as a Wisconsin resident, I do not need to be registered, have a title, or need a plate while in Indiana. I printed the email & will have it with us.
Andy

Old 07-09-19, 05:02 AM
Unless you're taking a LONG ferry ride from Kenosha to Gary, you might consider getting a similar letter for driving through Illinois.

I'd ALSO consider plastering some big "I ♥ WISCONSIN" bumper sticker on the back of the camper to hint that you're out of state.

Old 07-09-19, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ideally you'd have a copy of the Wisconsin statue that shows no tag is needed for non commercial trailers. That should suffice no matter what state you go thru.

Old 07-09-19, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Regardless of requiring a license plate a question I would want answered is what is required as far as liability insurance.
Here we have to register trailers but the liability in case of accident is covered under the vehicle's insurance.
Who insures your trailer against liability?

Old 07-09-19, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tenn doesn't register/tag personal trailers but mine is covered [liability only] anytime it's hooked up to my truck. I don't think there is any coverage once it's parked and unhooked .... but then there is virtually no risk.