Framing a mirror with molding

Old 08-14-02, 10:11 AM
marys235
Visiting Guest
Framing a mirror with molding

I have seen pictures in magazines of mirrors with frames built around them made of molding, with the decorative square rosette corner blocks on all 4 corners (so no miter cuts). Does anyone know how this is done? It looks as if it wouldn't be that hard, but I'm not sure how to do it. I know nothing about molding, but I have heard you can purchase frame molding with a "dado" which allows the molding to overlap the mirror, but how would you fit the corner blocks? Or do they just have the mirror fit against the edge of the frame when the corner blocks are used? I don't think that would look good, since the edges of the mirror might show. Can you get corner blocks with a dado? I have a small bathroom, and the wall over the sink is only 28 inches wide and 48 inches tall. I'd like to build a decorative molding frame that goes to the edges of that wall, with a mirror in it, but am not sure how to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-14-02, 11:37 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cut you are refering to is called a "rabbet" cut. If you looked at the end of the pice of moulding, it would look like an "L" shape, with the mirror resting on the short side of the "L'.

The simplest way to do this is to build a picture frame around the mirror.

Old 08-14-02, 01:16 PM
marys235
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help, Gary, I also found an article on www.doityourself.net (Episode DIR-115) that explains how to build the frame around the mirror, with pictures, that is really helpful. I just have one more question, do you just glue the mirror to the wall, since any brackets would get in the way of the frame? The mirror will be about 25" x 45", so it is pretty heavy, any suggestions on what kind of adhesive to use?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: