Plaster, lathe & hanging mirrors

Old 08-13-04, 09:35 PM
TerryF
Visiting Guest
Plaster, lathe & hanging mirrors

I have an 18 x 68 inch unframed mirror that I need to hang on a plaster and lathe wall. I'll be getting those mirror hangers/clips (the metal holders that the mirror slips into) but am concerned about the best way to secure them. This is my second experience with plaster and lathe walls and the first didn't go well. I have successfully hung heavy framed pictures and a framed mirror already but I've never used these clip things and would like some recommendations before I start drilling or pounding holes in the wall.

Thanks!

Old 08-14-04, 03:23 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
By lathe, I assume you mean wood lathe and if so a 1 1/2" screw will go through the clip, plaster and into the lathe.

Old 10-12-04, 09:07 AM
Janer_j
Visiting Guest
I hung a similar mirror on my plaster and lath walls. My mirror had a wooden frame, which sits behind the mirror. The frame is attached to the wall and the mirror is hung on the frame with those invisible clips. Having the clips attach to the wood provided a more stable place when it came time to slide the mirror in and adjust the clips as necessary. I used some fairly significant anchors drilled into the wall to secure the frame (I chose ones on advise at the hardware store). So far, my mirror is still on the wall and seems secure.

Old 10-27-04, 10:20 AM
smile16
Visiting Guest
i have a 30 x 66" wooden framed mirror. it comes with D-rings on the back. will my walls handle the weight (70-90 lbs)? all i would need is strong wall anchors? what kind if you know?

thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-04, 10:43 AM
You don't need wall anchors.....you should use 100 lb. mirror hangers. After taking all you measurements as to where the mirror will hang, nail a 3" piece of 1/4" plywood (1/2") less than the width of the mirror to the wall. Use 1 1/2" nails at 45 degree angle about every 6" to 8". Then nail the mirror hangers through the plywood and hang the "D" rings directly into the hangers. DO NOT USE WIRE.

Old 10-27-04, 03:07 PM
smile16
Visiting Guest
Thanks johnam! This is very helpful!

I'm trying to do this myself (with help from a friend) so I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions.

When you say "nail a 3" piece of 1/4" plywood (1/2")...", would my mirror then be sticking out as I would like it flushed along the wall (leaning right on the wall)? The mirror only has two D rings (one on the right and one on the left) fastened to the back of mirrors. If I nail 1 1/2" nails at 45 degrees about every 6" to 8", how will the mirror hook onto them since there's only 2 D rings and the wood is only 3"?

Old 10-27-04, 03:33 PM
It's easy for me since I've done it for over 40 years. The nails are to hold the plywood to the wall and then the mirror hangers are nailed through the plywood at a distance the corresponds with the "D' rings. The plywood is only to prevent the mirror hangers from pulling out of the sheetrock or plaster. Even without plywood, the mirror will hang at a slight angle to the wall.

Old 10-27-04, 04:03 PM
smile16
Visiting Guest
So extremely helpful!

So you're saying there will be two pieces of 3" plywoods (one for each D ring) using 1 1/2" nails to pin it against the plaster wall? Then I nail one mirror hanger each on both plywoods?

So sorry.

Old 10-27-04, 04:38 PM
One piece of plywood 3" X 1/2" less than the width of the mirror. The mirror hangers will be nail near the ends of the plywood at a distance equal to the measurement from center to center of the "D" rings so that the hooks line upo with the "D" rings.

Old 10-28-04, 08:16 AM
smile16
Visiting Guest
Sorry but I don't get quite what you're saying. Can I email/call you directly?

Using a stud finder, I believe they are studs before the wall. If I do, then using the plywood is not necessary, right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: