Ideas needed for mirror frame

Old 11-16-04, 03:05 AM
lorrainebrian
Visiting Guest
Question Ideas needed for mirror frame

We are painting our upstairs bathroom and I am in need of ideas to frame a plain and old mirror over the vanity. It is large and rectangle, the colors I have chosen for the room are blue and gold. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lorraine

Old 11-16-04, 07:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
frame with moulding

can you just nail decorative moulding to the wall around it? or does it come all the way down to the top of your backsplash? if so, can you remove it & put it higher up, so you'll have room for the moulding beneath it? really wide fluted moulding painted cream would be very nice.

Old 11-17-04, 03:38 AM
lorrainebrian
Visiting Guest
I have room for molding but I went to the hardware store yesterday and was looking at some cut out pieces (in and Egyptian pattern) with the same design as in my shower curtain, a little expensive for each piece but I think I can make a themplate, paint them the color I want to accent the bathroom and the attach them around the mirror. I had considered the molding but there is so much crown molding in this house that I was looking for something a little different. Not that crown molding or any other is not nice but something a little out of the ordinary would be called for I think. (to much of a good thing)

Any other suggestion are welcomed. What type of material would you suggest for the cut outs? I am trying to keep costs down and be able to cut these out myself. Keep in mind I am NO expert so no telling how they will turn out. Just having some fun in the process.

Lorraine

Old 11-17-04, 06:02 AM
Is the mirror set in a gold J channel at the bottom now?
If so you and you have room, you could slide gold J channel around the rest of the mirror.

Old 11-17-04, 07:07 AM
Lightbulb what about using fabric?

i saw one time where they took fabric and made (essentially) a gathered sleeve out of it, and scrunched it onto a cheap, ugly frame that was padded. or maybe the frame was just made of foam. i can't remember exactly. and they may have just "upholstered" the frame with the fabric, instead of sewing it into a sleeve. as in, stapled it onto the back of the frame, over padding. i think the one i saw was done on an oval mirror, but a rectangular one would look just as good.

at any rate, it looked really nice. i suppose you could have the fabric stretched taut or gathered. might depend on how much steam & hairspray will be happening in that particular bathroom. might be a better idea for a guest or hall bath, instead of the master bath (?), as it could be a dust collector. might also depend on the chosen fabric - if it's just solid, i'd think you'd want it gathered for interest. a print could go either way.

the frame ended up being pretty wide, probably about 6" wide. of course, it would have to be in proportion to however big your mirror is.

Old 11-19-04, 02:20 AM
lorrainebrian
Visiting Guest
My son in law cuts vinyl so I am going to get him to cut me out the same design I had seen at the hardware store out of a vinyl material and simply glue it around the old mirror. A gold vinyl should do the framing nicely I think. We thought of this one over dinner Wednesday night. What do you think?

Lorraine

Old 11-19-04, 06:39 AM
Question huh?

sorry.....you lost me!

what kind of vinyl? vinyl flooring??

and what shape of cut outs?

glued around the mirror where??? the mirror is frameless right now, right? so what are you attaching the cutouts TO? directly onto the perimeter of the glass?

Old 11-19-04, 01:01 PM
niceli
Visiting Guest
Annette, *can* you glue directly onto a mirror? I was interested in this thread because I am in the midst of making a frame for a bathroom mirror. My mirror is approx 30" x42" and there isn't enough room around the bottom or one side to attach a frame to the wall. I have made a frame out of wood and was just planning on using liquid nails..... am I about to screw something up. Something you said made me thing I am heading in the wrong direction! thanks!

Old 11-19-04, 01:14 PM
i would "think" that liquid nails would hold a relatively light frame onto the glass surface. but i'd read the label on the adhesive first and see if it says it works on glass. if not, and if a glass pro doesn't chime in here, i'd go to or call a glass/mirror shop & ask about mirror adhesive or mastic. they must make something that'll stick, because i've seen mirrors layered on one another, and they had to be glued somehow!

as long as the frame (or cutouts or whatever) isn't super heavy, i'd imagine that it would stay stuck. just make sure the mirror itself is secured well to the wall, since you'd be adding weight to those fasteners.

but that's all just my guess! any pro's out there want to chime in???

Old 11-19-04, 03:55 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Liquid nails or silicone will work fine. Clear silicone might be better since it's less noticeable. Remember it will reflect in the mirror so keep it to the outer edge.

Old 11-20-04, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by johnam
Liquid nails or silicone will work fine. Clear silicone might be better since it's less noticeable. Remember it will reflect in the mirror so keep it to the outer edge.
on this note, you might want to paint the back of the frame Black when you use silicone, less noticeable in the reflection.

Old 11-22-04, 11:13 AM
niceli
Visiting Guest
thanks johnam and glasman2 for the tips. If I had silicone reflections in the mirror it would have driven me nuts! I'm painting the frame black to match oil rubbed bronze fixtures (that I"m hopefully installing tomorrow!) so I will paint the front and back of the frame. thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: