Mirror Framing How To's?

Old 01-17-05, 12:17 PM
pete737
Visiting Guest
Question Mirror Framing How To's?

How do I frame a medium to large mirror. If a rabbet is made around the frame what kind of bit for the router. And how do I secure the frame to itself and the mirror to the frame?

Pete737

Old 01-20-05, 08:09 PM
M
meo
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pete, I just finished this project yesterday, and am thrilled with it!

See my post below on jchannels...I gave up and just decided to cover it up...LOL! I went to Lowes/Home Depot and bought three pieces of chairrail (8ft each) b/c the mirror is double vanity size...brought them home, painted the front and back of them (b/c the back will reflect in the glass once it's on there) and then didn't even bother with the rabbit cuts or whatever they are; I just cut them on a 45 angle to fit together; dry fit them, and then used liquid nail to tack them directly onto the glass. I would suggest watching out for bowing b/c that makes it really difficult to attach (one end sticks, but the other pops loose) -- so you might want to humidify them (in the bathroom with the water running? dunno...) before painting ...anyway, we used heavy duty tape to secure them while the stuff cures -- it takes 24hrs minimum...48hrs avg...

Anyway, hope that helps -- we're really happy with the way it turned out, even if it did take longer (we had to "un-bow" the wood after it was painted...don't ask...) -- what a huge difference in there! Good luck; post any questions...we learned what not to do! LOL!

Old 01-21-05, 03:32 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A frame for a mirror is the same as a frame for a picture. The objective is to make a box with a back for itself. The rabbet is ploughed and the pieces trimmed to make the frame, 4 sides of the box. A back is cut to fit in the frame behind the glass or mirror. With a large mirror, the back may be glued to the mirror and both set into the frame as one. Masonite can be used for this purpose, since it is dead flat. The back being attached to the mirror or set into the frame with the mirror presents a surface for mounting attachments for hanging the mirror. If it is all glued together, the mounts can be placed on or through the frame of the mirror.

Of course, the mirror could glued to the wall and the frame made and installed around it. For a large mirror, I would be inclined to mount the mirror to the wall and make the frame to fit around it. I would use either mirror clips to mount it or glue it to the wall, then add the frame.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-05, 06:16 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
It's the same as framing a picture. Take a look at this website: http://grignonsart.com/Learning_page...ether_home.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: