Can double hung window glass be repaired?

Old 02-22-05, 04:24 AM
Norman rackison
Visiting Guest
Can double hung window glass be repaired?

I somehow got a bunch of cracks on the inside (top part) of one of my double hung windows in the garage. I know that these types of windows are sealed in the factory for insulation purposes. They are also spot welded in each corner. the question I have is how do you change the glass in one of these types of windows? The old type of windows you'd simply remove the old glass, buy a new piece and put the glazing putty arounf the outer perimeter of the window. How does one repair broken or cracked glass on the double-hung type. Mind you, the outer glass is fine on these double pane windows.

Thanks

Norm Rackison

Old 02-25-05, 01:42 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Double hung" refers to counterweights within the frame of a vertically sliding window.

You mean "double glazed" (double pane), I think, which are normally contained by formed channels in aluminum frames. Unless you see welding at the joints, the broken panes likely can be replaced but it will probably be easier to replace the whole window unit.

Repair will entail much prying and cleaning of surfaces and gaskets with razor and solvents, and careful application of heat, dessicant beads, and caulk.

Old 02-28-05, 06:46 PM
O
Received 13 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Dual pane

I agree. Repairing an IGU (Insulating Glass Unit) is really not a DIY project.
Depending on the window, you can remove the IGU from the sash and take it to a glass shop where they can order a new IGU (shouldn't be very expensive) to replace the broken one.
Occasionally, a glass shop will "repair" the broken IGU, but then unless they are really careful and have a pretty nice set up you can have long term problems with that unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: