Mirrors on wall PROBLEM

Old 03-02-05, 07:24 AM
omer
Visiting Guest
Mirrors on wall PROBLEM

Hello,
We have a whole wall covered with I think 12X12 mirrors and they are glued to the wall and there is also a silver frame around the whole thing(not around each mirror). I saw shims behind the frame but the mirrors are glued to the wall. We want to remove these mirrors and the frame, there are about 12 mirrors in total, with minimum damage to the wall as we want to prime and paint it and hang one nice mirror.
Any suggestions how we can get rid of these mirrors. Your quick response will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-02-05, 07:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would try a long flexible putty knife. Slide it under the mirror and see if you can cut through whatever they used to secure them with. Please wear safety glasses as breakage and flying glass is always a possibility. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-02-05, 08:38 AM
omer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your response Majakdragon, sounds like a good idea. I will try that first. I am concerned about the frame as well if it would come off the wall that easily with a putty knife.
I was reading some of the other threads and they suggested using mirror cutters, I might give that a try, I hope I don't damage the wall too much though.

I would highly appreciate if anyone has any other suggestions.

Old 03-03-05, 01:18 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are very careful heating the mirrors, this will soften typical construction adhesives. But then you'll still have to cut the gluey areas off, and the paper with it. In any case I think this wall will lose a lot of paper, and you'll want to skim it over and sand.

Old 03-03-05, 07:01 AM
omer
Visiting Guest
Success!!!

Thank you guys. I finished the whole thing in an hour last night. I was able to pull off most of the mirrors without breaking them as they were not completely glued but only on the corners. So all I did was used a taping knife, a hammer and a pry bar and gently removed them. Phew what a relief, there was some damage to the wall but I was able to patch it up, tonights priming and painting night.

Thanks again for your responses and take care.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: