Broken sliding patio door

Old 04-29-05, 07:33 AM
Kevin Bokenfohr
Visiting Guest
Broken sliding patio door

:wall The tempered glass to my sliding patio door has shattered. I have no explaination as to why this happened since we do not recall any mechanical stress or force exerted on the window. My only theory is that it might be because of extreme cold temperatures. The incident occurred in January at minus 30 degress Celsius. Can anyone tell if this is possible?

THX Kevin

Old 04-29-05, 08:20 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can see that happening if it were double glazed - the seal between these is, well, air tight - so contracting air would put a lot of strain on the glass. Better implode from cold than explode from heat!

I suspect foul play more likely, though.

Old 05-02-05, 06:47 AM
O
Received 13 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Tempered glass

Because of the nature of tempered glass, it is prone to spontaneous breakage on occasion. It is not common, but it also isn't extremely rare (which means very little if it is your lite that broke!)...It is occassionally seen in oven doors and side windows of cars as well as tempered glass in windows and doors.

There are several reasons for the spontaneous breakage of tempered glass, but one of the most common is due to tiny bits of nickel sulfide that do not totally melt druing the float process. These are known as nickel sulfide inclusions.

I would highly recommend that you contact the door manufacturer, because spontaneous breakage in tempered glass is covered by virtually everyone's warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: