Cutting a Large Mirror Attached to a Wall

Old 06-21-05, 10:28 AM
barrypoint
Visiting Guest
Cutting a Large Mirror Attached to a Wall

I have a large mirror above my bathroom vanity that appears to be glued to a wall. It's about 5'x7'. I am having a new bathroom vanity installed and it is about 3-4" higher than my old one. The mirror rests on the old vanity's backsplash, which means I will either have to remove the mirror or if possible trim off several inches along the bottom. Is there anyway to cut the mirror - trim about 3-4" off the bottom - without damaging it, or will I have to remove it entirely?

Old 07-07-05, 11:16 AM
twstws
Visiting Guest
I have precisely the same situation -- and I mean precisely in every detail. I notice that you have had no replies, but if you have figured out a solution or received other advice, could you please let me know. Thanks

Old 09-04-05, 07:25 PM
Tatonka
Visiting Guest
I have the nearly the exact opposite problem - installation over an uneven wall on top of the bathroom counter's backsplash. I yanked out the old medicine cabinets, put up a thin 4x7' piece of hardboard to span the openings and I now need to install a 4' X 7' mirror . More precisely, the mirror will rest on a 1"-1.5" cherry strip and I had planned to use mirror clips top and bottom. Problem is that the drywall is uneven and I'm worried about the safety of it. Say someone leans into the mirror and cracks it casuing it to break into dangerous pieces. (The double drywall presents another problem - securing the clips - longer screws have larger heads making he clips unuseable. I may use spiral nails.) But I still need to level the surface.

Old 09-04-05, 09:52 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The problems that you all have should be left to a professional. Mirror cannot be cut while mounted on a wall. To use the existing mirror might not be worth the labor cost to remove, cut and install. Call your local glass shop and get a quote.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: