Framing A Bathroom Mirror

Old 07-17-05, 06:38 AM
cdriesbach
Visiting Guest
Question Framing A Bathroom Mirror

I want to add moulding to my 40x60" bathroom mirror. The bottom part appears to have been "slid in" by a small holding bracket, the top is secured by two screws at the top that overlap onto the mirror. What is the best way to add moulding? Should I remove the screws and glue the mirror to the wall? Or, glue the moulding on and cut around the screws? Thanks.

Old 07-19-05, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
What kind of moulding are we talking about here? Decorative oak rope? Casing? Some sort of frame?

I'd start by replacing your current mirror clips with something that would be "low profile". They make spring loaded chrome mirror clips that work well for 1/4" thick mirrors. The bottom clip is shaped like a square-bottomed "J", while the top clip is shaped the same way, but spring loaded, so that you can push the mirror (and spring-clip) up, then set it down into the bottom clip. These clips sit almost flush against the mirror, and the fastener is actually behind the mirror once it's installed.

That would be a start at your trim job. Then your trim could pass right over the mirror clips with little or no notching.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: